Acer Aspire One D150 problem with touchpad

Recently I exchanged my HP laptop with my brother’s ACER Aspire One D150.
The Acer had windows XP but I formated and used openSUSE 11.3.
When I finished the installation, I saw that the touchpad doesn’t work.
I used Linux Mint Live USB and still couldn’t use the touchpad.
I told my brother about this and he told me that he made the touchpad inactive to make the laptop run faster.
I talked with a friend and told me that sometimes there’s no option in the BIOS since it’s hidden and maybe the only solution might be install windows again and then activate it.
I don’t want to test this.

On the other hand, I was thinking if the touchpad is broken.

All that time I used a wireless mouse.

Is there a possiblity to check it and make it work?

In Windows, on this model, there is a setting for enabling/disabling hardware besides the touchpad. You must activate all hardware you wish to use using the special windows program and this includes, usb-hdd, usb-stick, usb-device, touchpad, smart-keys, passwords for BIOS. That’s why I always install
windows & the special acer program in a small partition then install Linux to take over the remainder of the drive. But if this isn’t acceptable, you must
re-install windows turn on everything (which can make booting slow cause it will pause looking for a usb-hdd (cdrom)) then wipe and install Linux.

That’s nice.
Although this isn’t a windows forum, I would like to ask something.

The installation I did has 4 partitions.
1st is 1.6GB (I think) and it’s hidden. It has windows (I think).
2nd is my root
3rd is my swap
4th is my home.

My questions are:

1. Can I make room on home and make a windows installation there? After I make the touchpad work, can I have the partition as /media/documents partition? Or do I have to install windows to the whole disk?
  2. Where do I find this program?

Thanks in advance.

Some Acer models respond to Fn+F7 to turn the touchpad on and off. The effect seems to be remembered in BIOS and crosses boots. (Acer is now the parent of Gateway, and I think the same genius (?) is at work there!).

If Fn+F7 does not help, look carefully for a backlit indicator near the keyboard. It will look (somewhat) like a check mark on a square. This is the new replacement (?) for Fn+F7, documented almost NOWHERE. It took me several agonizing days on my Gateway NV79 to find that the idiot light was the touchpad control. The hidden “feature” is that Windows 7 knew how to bypass it (and they are not talking!). My openSUSE would sit touchpad-less until I found the purpose of that light!
I imagine that the engineer/developer of this “feature” has a wry sense of humor coupled with a total absence of documentation ability. There is now a new “special place” in the pit created solely for their permanent enjoyment.*

The hidden first partition is the window recovery designed to initiate a factory re-install feature (wipe hdisk & auto-pilot to restore to factory provided you have the recovery disk sets). If you intend to run only from Linux that space is mute. If as you suggest you want to run windows from a virtual session from with-in Linux, it will also be mute. Normally, to virtualize windows as a client of the Linux host you decide where you want to create the virtual drive root, home, or with-in any subfolder you desire. Then you install windows there using the virtual manager and as far as windows knows it is running with whole disk access even though in reality it is self contained with-in the virtual session. Running in virtual mode will have sometimes profound special considerations like USB device access, and sharing data partitions with Linux. Read before you jump and ask questions to properly understand how to do things.

Well, I solved it FINALLY.
It was the FN+F7 keys.
I have touchpad again…
Thank you all.