Acer Aspire 5040 wireless problem Opensuse 11

Hi everyone.
The last week i was trying to make my Acer Aspire 5040 wmli(AMD Turion 2.00 ghz, 512 ram, ATI 200m, Atheros 5005g) wireless work in opensuse 11, as you see the wireless is an atheros 5005g.

But i think the real problem is the wifi led that seems unable to work, because the wifi adapter seems recognized, i installed the acer acerhk module but nothing happens, also tried to run the acer-wmi module but again nothing happens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you certain the wireless is not active?

Did you try installing the madwifi driver appropriate to your kernel version?

General instructions are here:
openSUSE - Atheros - madwifi
Note you need both “madwifi” and “madwifi-kmp-<your kernel flavor>”

I’ve read of “spotted” results of the madwifi linked in the one click install on the above instructions page, so its possible those madwifi may not work, or indeed may not install (you may get a dependency error). You may have better luck with the madwifi packaged and linked on webpin:
Webpin search for madwifi
pick and choose carefully. :slight_smile:

Also note, in the openSUSE 11.0 may be a conflict with built in module ath5k, which does not work for everyone, and which prevents using madwifi. Resolution is to add this module to the blacklist. To do this add the line blacklist ath5k to the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and reboot.

I’ve read of others successfully rebuilding the madwifi rpm from the rpm src. Thats what I did last on my wife’s openSUSE-10.3 PC (which uses madwifi).

I installed madwifi (including madwifi-kmp) and nothing happens.
When i put in the terminal modprobe ath_pci it says command not found, In super user nothing happen, the output is blank.

When i tried to blacklist the ath5k module it says:
kwrite /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
kwrite: cannot connect to X server
(It also happens with kate)

I dont know what to do, I hope someone can help me

You need to have root permissions when editing the file.

Try this:
kdesu kwrite /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
and edit the file, or if that fails to give your write on “blacklist” try
kdesu kwrite
and navigate to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and edit the file.