Acer AL2002W

I’m not sure if this is a hardware issue or a software issue, but it has finally annoyed me enough to ask. I have a 20" widescreen LCD that is supposed to have a native resolution of 1680x1050, but the max that I have ever gotten out of it is 1280x1040. Is this just me with this issue?

First order of business would be to install suitable display adapter drivers for your chipset / card - do you know what it is and have you installed them?

If it still fails after that, it’s best to generate a xorg.conf by using the sax2 tool, if you are running KDE4 you can ALT+F2 and type Configure X11 into it which should reveal it for you - then set your resolution, monitor and the dimensions correctly and restart X / machine.

Okay, I finally resolved the issue, but the resolution seems like black magic to me. My graphics card is an older nVidia, GeForce FX 5200 to be precise. It has two outputs, DVI and VGA, I had it attached to the DVI since I bought the moniter. I was recently working on a friend of the family’s computer that only had VGA out so I plugged that in and everything was working fine and dandy, native resolution with openSUSE 11.2 and all. Seeing that I decided to try the VGA out on my card and low and behold it maigcally fixed it. Now, a follow up question, why?