Access Ubuntu from Opensuse

I mounted Win 7 in Opensuse 13.1. However, Opensuse is not picking up my prior install of Ubuntu with all my files. How to I get Opensuse to ‘see’ Ubuntu 13.10? Obviously, I am triple booting W7, Ubuntu & Opensuse.

Thanks!

On 2013-12-01 00:16, CHAZDG51 wrote:
>
> I mounted Win 7 in Opensuse 13.1. However, Opensuse is not picking up
> my prior install of Ubuntu with all my files. How to I get Opensuse to
> ‘see’ Ubuntu 13.10? Obviously, I am triple booting W7, Ubuntu &
> Opensuse.

You want to access the files in those partitions? Just add them to
fstab. YaST partitioner module can do that.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

Um, can you be a bit more specific? Partitioner was unable to Mount (read and write) W7 or a seperate NTFS ‘Media’ petition. I had to manually edit /etc/fstab/ to be able to write to any NTFS partition.

I have no idea how to proceed with another Linux distro. Help…

Thanks!

Why not open up a terminal session, run a few commands and post the results here inside code # tags:

su -

fdisk -l

df

cat /etc/fstab

Thank You,

You were talking about a file system created by and for Ubuntu when I understand you. That isn’t normaly an NTFS file system. Either you mean something different, or you tried to mount the wrong partition. Providing the information James asks for could help us to help you.

Believe an example is worth a thousand words…

==================================================================================================

fs_spec fs_file filesystem fs_mntops fs_freq fs_passno

Device or Mount Point Type Options Dump for fsck order

Remote FS or not or not

==================================================================================================

/etc/fstab: static file system information.

<file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3750640NS_5QD34SB8-part6 / ext4 acl,user_xattr 1 1
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3750640NS_5QD34SB8-part7 /home ext4 acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3750640NS_5QD34SB8-part5 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3750640NS_5QD34SB8-part8 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3750640NS_5QD34SB8-part10 /U-home ext4 defaults 1 2
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3750640NS_5QD34SB8-part9 /U-root ext4 defaults 1 2
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3750640NS_5QD34SB8-part1 /windows/C ntfs-3g users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD5000AAKX-001CA0_WD-WCAYUHW56605-part1 /windows/D ntfs-3g defaults,users,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
#/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD5000AAKX-001CA0_WD-WCAYUHW56605-part1 /windows/D ntfs-3g users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD5000AAKX-001CA0_WD-WCAYUHW56605-part5 /windows/L vfat users,gid=users,umask=0000,utf8=true 0 0

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs noauto 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0

We too have a triple bootable System and at the moment Ubuntu is on the third Parttion. Unfortunately all the spaces and tabs have been condensed. Just grab a copy and expand the single spaces to get the real picture.

Take care,
Chuck

Please, please, please. Use CODE tags around your copied/pasted computer texts. You get the CODE tags by clicking on the # button inthe tool bar of the post editor. When applicable the prompt, the command, the output and the next prompt.

Is this realy new for you? You are a member since 2008 and posted more then 300 timess here. You probably read many more posts.

On 2013-12-01 14:26, chucktr wrote:
>
> Believe an example is worth a thousand words…

But please do so using code tags. The ‘#’ button on your editor.

> # <file system> <mount point>
> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
>
> /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3750640NS_5QD34SB8-part6 / ext4
> acl,user_xattr 1 1

Line wraps, spaces are eaten…

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

It is to me, not quite sure I get it…

On 2013-12-01 16:46, CHAZDG51 wrote:
>
> hcvv;2604185 Wrote:

>> Is this realy new for you? You are a member since 2008 and posted more
>> then 300 timess here. You probably read many more posts.
> It is to me, not quite sure I get it…

Posting in
Code Tags - A Guide

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

No, it is to chucktr. He is posting a lot of difficult readable computer output. But we asked you to post things from your computer. And we hope of course that you will do so between CODE tags :wink:

Everything about Opensuse is new to me, not quite sure I get the code thing. Sorry about that.

I will just post the Ubuntu partitions on the first disk (sda5 & sda6) which I would like to add to /etc/fstab. I don’t see how to do it with the Yast Partitioner. Thanks for the help.

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 2048 1642129407 821063680 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2 1642129408 2315872255 336871424 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda3 2315874302 2930276351 307201025 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 2911422464 2930276351 9426944 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6 2315874304 2911422463 297774080 83 Linux

1. as the llink that Carlos provided and my description try to explain is that when you post computer output in a post (as you did above) you should do so between CODE tags. And you get them by clicking on the # button in the tool bar of the post edditor. That is the tool bar you see right above the field where you are typing a post. This has nothing to do with openSUSE, or Linux. It gas to do with posting on this web site.

2. sda1 and sda2 seem to belong to a Windows installation.
    sda3 is the extended.
    sda5 is the swap partition of a Linux installation. There is no data there. It is useless to “mount” this. It is either used or not. And you can share it for all Linux distros/systems you have installed.
    You say that sda5 is your Ubuntu installation. Then where is your openSUSE?

And please post the output of

mount

Length of time you’ve been associated with something doesn’t mean a darn thing if you don’t remember… Senior moments.:shame:
A picture is better… Line wraps are signified by … at the beginning of the line.

http://www.trcompu.com/fstab.png

And the HD layout…

The OS HD is a 750GB drive that is “shared” with Windows XP Media Center, openSuSE and Ubuntu

• /dev/sda 698.64GB ST375064NS
  • /dev/sda1 102.85GB NTFS HP_PAVILION /windows/C
  • /dev/sda2 595.79GB Extended
  • /dev/sda5 2.00GB Linux swap swap
  • /dev/sda6 40.00GB Linux Ext4 /SuSE13.1root /
  • /dev/sda7 433.18GB Linux Ext4 /SuSE13.1home /home
  • /dev/sda8 2.00GB Linux swap
  • /dev/sda9 20.02GB Linux Ext4 Ubuntu-root /U-root
  • /dev/sda10 98.58GB Linux Ext4 Ububtu-home /U-home
   The Data HD is a 500GB drive that is also "shared". 
  • /dev/sdb 465.76GB WDC-WD5000AAKX-0
  • /dev/sdb1 367.95GB NTFS HP_PAVILION_D /windows/D
  • /dev/sdb2 97.81GB Extended
  • /dev/sdb5 97.81GB FAT L_DRIVE /windows/L

Thanks and take care,
Chuck

Opensuse is on my second hard drive.

Ubuntu is on sda6 - sorry. Opensuse is using the swap partition sda5.

The code issue will take time for me to grasp. I can post ‘mount’, but it is long. For now, is there an easy way to mount Ubuntu? I assume the swap partition does not need to be mounted and there is no separate Home partition.

BTW, this a super fast distro - I am slowly becoming a convert, although I wish all partitions were mounted during installation, as they are with Ubuntu/Debian.

Allllrighty now… here is that reckless old coot again. Now IF you notice in the ‘fstab’ that we posted… there are **mount points **specified -and- when we fire up ‘Dolphin’ -and- go to the ‘root’ dir we can see the 2 Partitions of Ubuntu. And we can even access them. NO. We are NOT worried about security cause… it is our ‘home’ machine and we are the only ones accessing it.

Now then, IF you are setting up a machine that has to be real secure… you will possibly have to ignore us and listen to the others. But IF someone really, really, really wants into your machine… they will get in there anyway.

-But- what we have shown will give you access to Ubuntu and Windows from openSuSE and visa versa. Well, there may be some other settings. Anyway, we can see and access Ubuntu from openSuSE just by those settings in ‘fstab’.

Take care,
Chuck

Well, you asked here in the openSUSE forums for advice on your openSUSE system. We ask you to post an

fdisk -l

Now, shouldn’t that implicate that you do that on your openSUSE system? The meaning of all this is that we get good information that can be trusted to base our help to you on.

So please give us theinformation we ask for. And of courrse from your running openSUSE system!!! We have to know wich partition you want to moun before we can tell you hhow to moun. And we wanto know which patition is as openSUSE sees it. Notas Ubuntu sees it.

Chucktr it is really simple when editing on the Web site use the CODE tags you used quote tags. Code tags are the #. Code tags don’t mess with the formatting and it is easier to read computer output. You can also just put beginning ending tags [tag] some text [/tag] where you would use code instead of tag.

Chucktr it is really simple when editing on the Web site use the CODE tags you used quote tags. Code tags are the #. Code tags don’t mess with the formatting and it is easier to read computer output. You can also just put beginning ending tags [tag] some text [/tag] where you would use code instead of tag.

Again apologies… We don’t “Normally” help -but- thought we could this time. We will pay more attention to what we are doing in the future.

Sorry for the messes.

Chuck

Chuck, I can access Ubuntu, as you say in the Root folder. That really is good enough for me, for now. I can give you more information with fdisk but I can live with this, easily.

I straightened out the font rendering issue and the codecs issues from James’ excellent Blog. I actually am much more interested in learning how to upgrade my kernel and getting the ATI driver to work after every kernel upgrade (another thread as I’m sure you all have seen).

I do need to point out that I kept reading about the Partitioner tool in Yast that made this process so easy. Unfortunately, with my NTFS partitions, I was only able to make those partitions ‘read only’, and then had to edit /etc/fstab manually.

No matter, I am really enjoying learning my way around and appreciate everyone’s help!