About Tumbleweed Complaints, Plasma6, Bleeding Edge, and Early Changes

In general: NEVER do a major DE release upgrade from within the running desktop session. Never ever! Simply NO!

I know (see my comments in the other thread), but the problem is that we (as in “the openSUSE community”) are telling newcomers that YaST and update applet are OK, see
https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed

Rolling release means no updates, only urgent patches and upgrades

When updating Tumbleweed, you can use YaST or the system update applet just as on Leap.

No, no, NO. Do not use YaST !!! It cannot do dup, only up. Please stop stating such nonsense.

Mind the word update there. That is something that seldom happens on Tumbleweed (as is also suggested there).

New Tumbleweed snapshots are distribution upgrades and thus need 'zypper dup`.

And no avoids as much as possible to update/upgrade running software. Thus when a snapshot contains a more or less complete new Plasma, Plasma should not run during the action.

And while some people posting in these forums advertise automatic updates/upgrades, I hope they learn from this large one.

1 Like

I changed the wiki page slightly…
…to avoid such discussions in the future.

2 Likes

Thanks, that was the apparent inconsistency I was pointing out for somebody to examine.
No blame on me, please, I have been using “zypper dup” in a VTx since ages…

1 Like

Considering that has been there for some 13 years… guess it was err… unlucky :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

First I did this update. You can’t read all details all time. I wasn’t even aware in the beginning it is about this mayor update to Plasma 6. I was only wondering why all Plasma 5 packages were removed.
On another machine I did an upgrade via USB-Stick with no problem at all. Eventually resent updates invoking dracut having a new kernel will solve the problem all by itself.

I mean, possibly some check against /etc/os-release or whatnot should be done in yast for certain tasks then.
It’s not a big deal to me. Everything in tumbleweed has been smoother than other rolling releases I’ve used in past and yast just confuses me so I do everything cli but for most users…

1 Like

Now I did the update again just as if there has been no problem the days before. Now everything went well. Only Plasma 6 seems to be a little slower than Plasma 5 and the info-page has changed now showing:

Blockquote
Operating System: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20240318
KDE Plasma Version: 6.0.2
KDE Frameworks Version: 6.0.0
Qt Version: 6.6.2
Kernel Version: 6.7.9-1-default (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 4 × Intel® Pentium® CPU J3710 @ 1.60GHz
Memory: 15.1 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 405

Maybe the root partition has not enough free space.

1 Like