About kde, kmix and pulseaudio

I just enabled pulseaudio in kde-settings multimedia, and at first there was no sound at all anymore: I considured to install pavucontrol from xfce… but I remembered to have kicked master channel from kmix as it did nothing (choosed pcm as master). With right clicking kmix and choosing channels, enabling master, I saw : MUTED
Enabling “Master” as master again did enable pulseaudio sound for me, but sliding the volume does nothing now :frowning:

Pulseaudio has some extra features, is used in most distributions, is getting matured now, but:
Kmix having a “Master” which can mute but not change volume is a bug.

Have you tried enabling it in Yast>Sound>Other>Pulse Audio Configuration?

You did not fully read my report ?
Pulseaudio runs out of the box, but I had the muted “Master” channel hidden due to his (the channels) disfunctionality.

[edit] Uups: There is a YAST->Sound->Other which has not Pulseaudio activated - But Pulseaudio runs … ???

… Really that button “Other” is little/hidden - everybody overlooks as kind of [Cancel|Ok]

Did I read your post. Yes. Did I understand it. Probably not. I’ve always struggled to understand sound in Linux. All I know is PulseAudio sound does not work for me as regular user AND when enabled it seems to cause graphic problems on login. That seems bizarre. How can a sound app cause graphic problems?
My system sound:

Model: nVidia MCP51 High Definition Audio
Kernel Driver: snd_hda_intel

Curiously as mentioned as regular user in KDE System Settings PulseAudio does not play a sound. However if I run ‘kdesu systemsettings’ it DOES play a sound as root… Wonder what that means? Permissions problem?

See this bug for some newer alsa and pulseaudio rpms that fix the muting problem.

https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=499445

The link to the packages is in comment #25 and the instructions are in comment #27.