A password is not necessary to enter my /home directory but after logging out password is necessary

I am facing a strange problem. I installed an opensuse 42.1 leap Linux. I deleted my /home folder accidentally from my other linux which is Debian. For some reason I had to transfer everything from my /home directory to a new partition. Then, everything is fine except that I do not need any password to enter my /home directory now. But when I am logging out and trying to enter my home directory I need a password.

Why do I not need a password to enter ? Please help me out.

On 02/01/2016 02:26 PM, Prashanta himalay wrote:
>
> I am facing a strange problem. I installed an opensuse 42.1 leap Linux.
> I deleted my /home folder accidentally from my other linux which is
> Debian. For some reason I had to transfer everything from my /home
> directory to a new partition. Then, everything is fine except that I do
> not need any password to enter my /home directory now. But when I am
> logging out and trying to enter my home directory I need a password.
>
> Why do I not need a password to enter ? Please help me out.

It would probably help if you explained how you were trying to “enter”
your home directory in a way that would prompt for a password. That does
not sound normal at all, since if you lack permissions the system does not
usually prompt you for arbitrary credentials, or even ‘root’ credentials.

Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…

I am not seeing that as a problem. Or, at least, not an obvious problem.

If somebody from the street can get access to your computer and see everything that might be a problem. But if you are just saying that login as another user gives access, then that seems okay.

In my case, anyone who can login to my system can see my home directory. But they cannot see what’s in my “.gnupg” directory nor what’s in my “.config” directory, nor what’s in my “Private” directory.

It’s a matter of permissions. Directories that have sensitive stuff, I make sure are accessible only by my. Anyone can read my general home directory, but they cannot write or change anything there.

You can use the “chmod” command to change permissions on your home directory.

Do you mean to access it on another partition, that is not auotmatically mounted? That is a OpenSUSE security feature, if you try to mount partitions from within Dolphin.