A couple of questions from an old newbie

Hey guys, I’ve been flirting with using Linux off and on for years. I’ve preferred Opensuse for some time now, and today I am trying out 11.1 with Gnome. I’ve got most things working nicely at this point, but I’ve still got a couple of problems.

First of all, I am having trouble getting the Steam version of Unreal Tournament 3 to play nice. I’m using the latest dev version of Wine, and that is working quite nicely for most stuff so far. I got WoW working beautifully earlier with little effort. My problem with UT3 is this: I have two monitors, and an Nvidia video card. I am using Twinview, and everything is running great, except UT3 refuses to play nice with the two monitors. With default Wine settings, UT3 runs on only my primary monitor, but it is cut off. The rest of it would presumably be on the second monitor if it were to stretch itself onto it. If I tell Wine that UT3 should not be managed by my window manager, I do get the whole game, but it is covering both monitors, which is obviously not what I want. My only choice of resolution in the game is 2560x1050 (the combined width of the two monitors’ resolutions). Is there way to get this game to show up on only one monitor? WoW also gives me only one resolution choice, and yet it is fully on one monitor.

My other problem is not really a problem, per se, but more of something I would love to do. I have always wanted to network my Windows machines with the machine running Linux, but this has never seemed possible. Tonight I have read up on it more extensively, and tried more than one tutorial to teach me how to use Samba. I have hooked up a laptop with Windows XP and then this desktop with Opensuse on a LAN. However, I still can’t get either computer to see the other. Can anyone give me a nice step-by-step walkthrough of how to set this up? Or link me to one that works?

I read somewhere that there is a Linux version of Hamachi, and I use that on all of my Windows machines and love it. Is it a better idea? Does it work well on Opensuse at all?

I think your Wine issue might be better taken to Wine forum, it’s kind of Hardcore.

Re: Samba
Did you look at @swerdna’s pages:
Linux HOWTOs and Tutorials: Suse Linux 10.0, 10.1 openSUSE 10.2, 10.3, 11.0, 11.1

Can’t you disable twinview with nvidia-settings before running the game? Works nicely here.