A couple of install problems with 12.1

I have just done an install from Gnome-live_x86_64 CD, had to do it from CD because this is on an old server which doesn’t seem to like installing from DVD.

First problem I encounter is that this install method doesn’t seem to have any options to select what to install and what not to, all I wanted was a simple clean server install but I have ended-up with all of the desktop bloat. Is there some way that I have missed to select what software is installed?

Next issue is that I also have CentOS on this drive and I was hoping to multi-boot between the two. Unfortunately the openSUSE installed doesn’t seem to have detected the CentOS install, is there some way I can get it to detect this previous install or failing that at least add it to the boot menu somehow.

Final issue I have is that the top menu bar is scrambled and unreadable. All the other graphics seem ok just the menu bar that is jumbled-up.

Thanks,
Nick

A bit of reading before you started would have helped :stuck_out_tongue:

1. You installed from a GNOME LiveCD. That’s intended to perform a GNOME desktop install, not a headless server install.
  2. Though “old server” is subjective, I’d say that of course the GNOME3 desktop, which depends on video hardware acceleration, is not working like it should

My suggestion:

1. Use a NET install CD, disable automatic configuration (you cannot do this on live CD’s
  2. If a desktop environment is required or desired, install LXDE or RazorQT. These two use less resources and don’t need much graphical power to run

Yep, I had noticed that there was a net install but I avoided that because I thought it might take ages downloading everything over the internet. I wonder if I can get a minimal install working, insert the DVD and then get it to read the source from there?

Currently doing a Net install but as expected this is painfully slow having to download everything over the net.

On 2012-05-15 16:06, Nick C wrote:
>
> Currently doing a Net install but as expected this is painfully slow
> having to download everything over the net.

I think there is a procedure to install with the net cd, sourcing the DVD
via local network.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Yup. You can even store the DVD iso on disk, boot from a NET install CD, and point it to use the DVD iso as a repo. That’s the way I install on the PC’s at home.

How would I go about doing that then? At what point could I interrupt the Net install and how would I then tell it to read from either the DVD player or somehow over the network.

On 2012-05-16 17:36, Nick C wrote:
>
> Knurpht;2462834 Wrote:
>> Yup. You can even store the DVD iso on disk, boot from a NET install CD,
>> and point it to use the DVD iso as a repo. That’s the way I install on
>> the PC’s at home.
>
> How would I go about doing that then? At what point could I interrupt
> the Net install and how would I then tell it to read from either the DVD
> player or somehow over the network.

The net install CD knows it can not continue reading from the CD, there is
nothing there. So it will ask.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

There will be a configuration or package option at some point. (not sure of exact wrong used but it should be obvious)

Should also be an option to use another repo Just read the screens carefully and don’t blindly click through.