802.11n wireless card fails to load in Suse 11.0

Hi All,

I have an old but working pentium 3 machine that has a D-link DWA-552 wireless-N card that talks to a D-link DIR-655 wireless-N router in the “other” OS. The hardware detect script does find the wireless card but the network devices list doesn’t show this card. If I manually add this device based on the hardware browser and also enter the module reported (ath5k), it does go through and ask me all the requisite questions about the network SSID and WPA passphrase. But restarting the network interface doesn’t start the newly configured wlan0. There is also a Gigabit ethernet that stays unconfigured since the router is way over in the other room and I can’t run a cable through the house. So, the wireless is the only network access for this old desktop. Kindly provide helpful suggestions on how to debug this network issue. I have been using linux for a while now but have rarely played with wireless drivers. Please help! Thanks in advance.

Try the madwifi rpms and instructions that I posted in This thread.

thanks harryc56. I am still having some trouble. Here’s what I did:

1. Downloaded madwifi 0.9.4 sources
  2. Put the current ath5k in the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
  3. Rebooted the machine.
  4. Compiled madwifi (make and make install). No errors in any of this.
  5. modprobe ath_pci
  6. Tried to configure the wireless in Yast and restarted network - /etc/init.d/network restart. When that didn’t work, I even went with a restart to see if the module would load on boot only or some such thing.
  7. Also tried to configure the wireless from the network manager in the system tray in KDE4.

Whatever I do, the /sbin/ifconfig refuses to show me a wlan0 or anything with an IP address for that matter.

Please help. Thanks.

Someone knowledgeable please help. I have now tried Ubuntu and also Suse and neither works on this old machine. Even ndiswrapper did not work. Help!!

rangarajan wrote:
> Someone knowledgeable please help. I have now tried Ubuntu and also
> Suse and neither works on this old machine. Even ndiswrapper did not
> work. Help!!

Go to http://forums.opensuse.org/network-internet/wireless/, read the sticky
entitled “My wireless doesn’t work - a primer on what I should do next”, and
post the things it asks for in that Forum.

Larry

Thanks. I have gone ahead with the suggestions in the sticky and posted in that forum. I will check back in there from now. Thanks.