64-bit Suse 11.2 on Thinkpad T60, 2.33ghz w/4gb RAM

I’ve just downloaded the new 64-bit release of SuSE 11.2 and have
installed it on my Thinkpad T60. I’ve upgraded the processor in the unit to 2.33ghz and have added the maximum ram of 4gb.

This install seems to me to be significantly more buggy
than the 32-bit SuSE 11.1 release that I’ve been running. By buggy I mean that my Evolution mail reader has crashed several times and when you drag a window across the screen the refresh rate is terrible with the window jump-jump-jumping across and leaving empty gray space for 2-3 seconds before the desktop fills in. In addition, the fonts are “weird” and do not appear to be consistent. Often fonts and labels do not show,
(e.g.,blank buttons) as the font color appears to be the same as the background.

However that said, VMware Workstation v6.5 under 64-bit SuSE runs a WinXP 32-bit guest at lightening speeds…so fast you would swear it was native.
Has anyone else tried the 64-bit 11.2 release on a similar machine and how much success have you had. Is there anything that I should be doing that I am missing here?
TIA to all.

The root of the problem appears to be that the video driver is not optimized for the ATI x1300 Radeon chip/card. I’ve tried the solutions listed here

ATI - openSUSE

with no success.

Any suggestions, or has anyone had luck w/a similar config?