503.105] (EE) AMDGPU(0): drmmode_do_crtc_dpms cannot get last vblank counter

One of my desktops has some problems. A cold boot does never work; even if the user can log in, which is not always, no desktop appears. I have to manually shut off the pc and then start it again, and then it works most of the time. But then again, while working, sometimes, on some mouse movement, the screen freezes and the pc is irresponsive, only shutting it down manually works.
And sometimes the user session starts up but the updater says “cannot find writable space to copy the repo cache” or something like that. In that case, updating is not possible.
I have found out where startup gets blocked: in Xorg-0.log, the last line reads: ‘503.105] (EE) AMDGPU(0): drmmode_do_crtc_dpms cannot get last vblank counter’
Doing ‘cat /proc/fb’ gives ‘0 amdgpudrmfb’ .
In boot.msg, I find: 2.096500] amdgpu: [powerplay] Failed to retrieve minimum clocks. AND <6> 2.096500] amdgpu: [powerplay] Error in phm_get_clock_info
I have these drivers installed: xf86-video-ati AND xf86-video-amdgpu AND some more xf86-video- AND libdrm_amdgpu1 .
NetworkManager is on.
I searched a bit on the internet, and found a few suggestions.
Maybe I should add ‘amdgpu.dc=0’ to kernel booting parameters? Or should I add ‘fbcon=map:1’ also? Maybe I should do away with ‘splash=silent’ and with ‘quiet’ ?
I am grateful for any good advice …

I’ve had some bad experiences with those ati vs amdgpu drivers myself on my Leap 15.2 machine.

If you could post the outcome

sudo inxi -G -xxx 

then we could decide what drivers to keep.

This is the result: sudo inxi -G -xxx

Graphics: Device-1: AMD Lexa PRO [Radeon 540/540X/550/550X / RX 540X/550/550X] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: amdgpu v: kernel
bus ID: 07:00.0 chip ID: 1002:699f
Display: server: X.org 1.20.3 compositor: kwin_x11 driver: amdgpu,ati unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa tty: 317x77
Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in console for root.

I also did this: xrandr --listproviders
… and I got this:

Providers: number : 1
Provider 0: id: 0x57; cap: 0xf (Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload); crtcs: 5; outputs: 3; associated providers: 0; name: Radeon 550 Series @ pci:0000:07:00.0
output DisplayPort-0
output HDMI-A-0
output DVI-D-0

I see you’re running Wayland and the amdgpu. With my amdgpu driver and Wayland on my old Radeon HD 7850 card, I have the same issues under Leap 15.2, computer freezes, even reboot does not always work. I thought it was linked to my GCN v1 card, for which the support by amdgpu is experimental, but you have a GCN 4 card. So I switched back to the onboard video and plasma, because I did not find a solution yet, and this is my main machine, now used for homeworking.

So I think you have a 4 options to test : wayland or plasma / driver amdgpu or kernel .

My bad, you’re not running Wayland. This already takes out one possibility… unless you want test that switching to Wayland solves your problem :\

Thanks for your answer. I’ll try different boot options and see what it gives… When I have found the solution, I’ll sure post it here!

Ge meugt dat dan gerust int Vloms doen. :slight_smile:

Ksaltseekerdoeng ! groetjes …