3d Connexion SpaceExplorer

After upgrading to 64 bit 11.2, my USB SpaceExplorer now drives the mouse cursor, as though it was being interpreted by Suse as a second mouse in the system. It worked fine until this release. It would be a useful feature if I could turn it on/off, perhaps in a config file or a shell environment var. Anybody else stumble onto this problem? Any workarounds?

When a USB mouse or USB SpaceExplorer is attached to my computer, a device file is created named /dev/hidrawx, where ‘x’ is an integer correlating to the number of USB hid devices attached.

In Suse 11.1, kernel 2.6.27.29-0.1, Linux ignores any input from the SpaceExplorer (/dev/hidrawx).

In Suse 11.2, kernel 2.6.31.5-0.1, Linux interprets any input from the SpaceExplorer (/dev/hidrawx) as mouse cursor movement.

Was this a modification created by changing the source code in hidraw.c? Is it possible to revert to the behavior in 2.6.27.29-0.1, without blowing away my 11.2 installation?

If you add a new ‘rules’ file to /lib/udev/rules.d, and include this line

KERNEL==“event*”, SYSFS{manufacturer}==“3Dconnexion”, SYMLINK=“input/spaceexplorer”, MODE=“0666” OPTIONS+=“last_rule”

and place it lexically prior to 90-hal.rules, the Space Explorer will no longer act as a mouse.

Wait a minute. Not as good a fix as I had initially thought.

Adding a rule to the /lib/udev/rules.d works at run time, but when I reboot, the Space Explorer is interpreted as a mouse. I then have to detach and re-attach to fix the behavior with my new rule.

Due to my ignorance of when and how the rules are being interpreted, I hesitate to refer to this as a bug (yet), but it raises the spectre of rules being interpreted one way at boot time and differently at run time. Perhaps just anomalous behavior rather than a bug?