I use openSuSE 12.3/KDE (64bit) as a development environment and am in the
habit of running software updates on it daily (using Apper.) After updating
on the morning of 20131030, when doing certain operations (there are two
that I’ve identified so far: 1) Using Chrome v30/v31 to access a specific GWT
based web application; and 2) Trying to run a VMware 9/10 VM) result in my KDE
session crashing, forcing me to login again. Firefox v25.0 can access the websites
that cause Chrome grief without problems.
When I inspect the system logs after this occurring, both kdm.log and
Xorg.0.log show a “Segmentation” fault occurring which I believe to be the
root cause of the problem I’m seeing.
I’ve logged a bug about this, but have gotten no response. I’m curious
whether anybody else has seen this problem or knows of a workaround.
I know of multiple systems that are in this state, all running openSuSE
12.3 and all working fine before the 20131030 update.
I copied the following out of my Xorg.0.log.old file:
293.705] (EE) Backtrace:
293.705] (EE) 0: /usr/bin/X (xorg_backtrace+0x36) [0x58f946]
293.705] (EE) 1: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x1937b9) [0x5937b9]
293.705] (EE) 2: /lib64/libpthread.so.0 (0x7fa582e39000+0xf1f0) [0x7fa582e481f0]
293.705] (EE) Segmentation fault at address 0x0
Fatal server error:
293.705] Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
293.705] (EE) Please also check the log file at “/var/log/Xorg.0.log” for additional information.
Note I see this logged EVERYTIME this error occurs.
Since I update fairly regularly, there were only a few updates (installed
by apper) that could be causing this. In particular, the 20131030 update
I ran (that included whatever broke this as this operations worked previous
to the update) modified the following packages:
I’m CERTAIN it was this set of updates that caused the problems with my
system as the operations I describe that cause it are things I
do multiple times a day, including on the days before these updates were
I’ve tried backing out to previous versions (I’ve tried 3 older versions
so far) of xorg-x11-server and xorg-x11-server-extra, but the problem persists.