2 Internet Connection Load Balance Opensuse 11.4

Hi

I want to ask for help if there someone already did this setup before. I have one internet connection and that works fine. That internet connection has a very limited bandwidth thus I want to add an additional internet connection. I want this 2 internet connection be utilize at the same time and also a failover if the other went down.

Is this even possible?

what are the least thing i must do in order to make this happen?

Current server:
OpenSuse 11.4
3 Ethernet ports

thank you guys in advance :wink:

Yes it’s possible.

Here’s a decent guide :
http://www.generationip.com/documentation/network-documentation/93-howto-setup-multiple-default-gateway-on-linux

Best regards,
Greg

thank u for the reply.

how about when I will be just forwarding traffic to a router?

sample:
Linux server 192.168.1.3
router 1 (ISP 1) 192.168.1.1
router 2 (ISP 2) 192.168.1.2

current setup is linux server is the gateway and just forward its internet traffic to router 1

Hmm I don’t think I understand You. If You want to load balance You need to forward traffic to 2 routers and that is described in the link I gave You.

Best regards,
Greg

apologies for the confusion. Here’s what I want to do

If i want to do this to my other server and what if I have only one port? I want to use it to my Linux Proxy Server to which it has only one port eth0. On the sample link, it says there adding route on eth0 and eth1. this part is what I am confuse now. is the link also applicable to this kind of setup?

Proxy Server:
Opensuse 11.4
eth0 port only

SUSE:~ # route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
link-local * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
loopback * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
default 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

thank you in advance :slight_smile:

Well You have to have 2 interfaces somewhere for this to work (they can be logical for example vlan interfaces). I think it would be most logical to configure the load balancing on the server which has those 2 interfaces and configure everything else to simply use the load balancing server as a default gateway.

Best regards,
Greg