13.2: Radeon error messages on boot, suspend/resume

Hello all,

I get a couple of errors during boot and suspend/resume. During boot, this message appears:

[drm:radeon_acpi_init] *ERROR* Cannot find a backlight controller

And during suspend and resume:

[drm:r600_ring_test] *ERROR* radeon: ring 0 test failed (scratch(0x850C)=0xCAFEDEAD)
[drm:si_resume] *ERROR* si startup failed on resume
[drm:radeon_dp_link_train_cr] *ERROR* displayport link status failed
[drm:radeon_dp_link_train_cr] *ERROR* clock recovery failed

However, everything seems to work fine. The only thing I notice is that screen brightness always is at 100% after resume. When I hit the function key, brightness goes back to previously set value.

Nevertheless, it would be nice to get rid of these errors (perhaps they are the reason why I don’t see the nice splash screen during suspend; see https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/502327-13-2-Where-is-the-quot-sleeping-Tux-quot)

BTW: I have a ThinkPad Edge E545. If you need more info, just let me know…

Cheers,
Friedhelm.

Am I the only one who gets these errors? Any other ThinkPads out there?

Can someone point me to any further information? I could try to figure out what’s going wrong, but I have no idea who/what is “drm:radeon_acpi_init” or “drm:radeon_dp_link_train_cr”…

Well screen brightness in a laptop is hit or miss in Linux either it works well or it is a nasty fight. Depends on the hardware. You are lucky it is at 100% some people have it stuck at 0% :open_mouth:

You should be so lucky :slight_smile: my T60P will not suspend or hibernate using function keys or closing the lid, not quite true “suspend” suspends fine, crashes when waking up. Interestingly it works fine using pm-suspend. PM utilities under Gnome don’t seem to have options for tailoring Power Management options and it all seems to have been like this since 13.0 all a bit of a mess as far as I am concerned.

tonyd