13.2 lost boot menu after update

Last month I installed 13.2 on a new laptop alongside Windows 8.1 in a dual-boot setup. From that point it was good and I saw the correct boot menu during each startup.

All was well before I installed recommended updates a few days ago. After the updates I either shut down or hibernated the machine (can’t remember which) but today I turned the machine on again and never saw the boot menu instead it goes straight to “recovery mode” startup then up comes KDE. This is sub-optimal for me.

How can I get the boot menu to appear as it did before the upgrade?

Hi,
Try to run as su in the terminal

mkinitrd

if it helps, if not wait for the experts to chime-in.

Smells like the same problem as in https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/503756-OS-13-2-Hibernate-(aka-suspend-to-disk)-doesn-t-work-when-booting-with-quot-Advanced-options-quot

For quick workaround delete /boot/grub2/grubenv.

This worked perfectly.
Thanks to all responders.

FWIW here is contents of the deleted grubenv:

:~> cat /tmp/grubenv
# GRUB Environment Block
saved_entry=0
next_entry=Advanced options for openSUSE>openSUSE, with Linux 3.16.6-2-desktop (recovery mode)
##########################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################

There is nothing wrong with the file the problem is that Grub does not know how to write to the BTRFS file system (now the default) and that files is supposed to be deleted upon return from hibernate but grub can’t do it. Solution at the moment are delete the file on return from hibernation. Don’t use BTRFS… Use a 500 meg boot partition formatted ext2 or ext4

Maybe a script to delete that file on all boots.

There is - it points to the wrong menu entry. See discussion I linked to.

Well ok but it was supposed to have been zapped/changed by grub and grub can not write to a BTRFS file system. So yes it point to a wrong entry but only because grub failed to adjust it on return form hibernation because of BTRFS.

You get the same thing more or less if you try to do a fast boot to another OS from the KDE shutdown. Grubs falure to write a change due to BTRFS.

Actually the problem here is that the recovery mode entry does not do any resume at all.
The hibernate/resume script set the wrong entry to boot, see the other thread.

When resuming from hibernate the hibernate/resume script would reset that boot entry.

You get the same thing more or less if you try to do a fast boot to another OS from the KDE shutdown. Grubs falure to write a change due to BTRFS.

Yes.
But in the hibernate/resume case pm-utils/systemd-sleep-grub take care of resetting the boot entry (and they are setting it in the first place as well).