13.1 OpenSuse Install failing no installation wizard

I am trying to install opensuse 13.1 fresh, no previous installation, booting from live USB.

I have to the initial OpenSuse boot menu and select installation, I get a loading kernal progress bar, then it flips to a black screen with a green bar along the bottom nothing else, if I hit any key it will display at top Loading Basic drivers… it will take roughly an hour or two and fail saying it had an issue with message bus.

I am not getting an installation wizard like all standard documentation is showing me.

Can anyone assist?

It is probably a graphics driver problem.

Try putting “nomodeset” in the boot command line. The graphics will be crappy, but at least you will be able to see them.

Here is the exact message I get after waiting two hours:

Loading basic drivers… ok
Starting hardware detection… ok
(If a driver is not working for you, try booting with brokenmodules=driver_name.)

Intel 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller
drivers: ata_piix*, atta_generic, pata_acpi
Activating usb devices… ok
Kingston DataTraveler 2.0
drivers: e100*
Loading Installation System (1/6) - 100%
Loading Installation System (2/6) - 100%
Loading Installation System (3/6) - 100%
Loading Installation System (4/6) - 100%
Loading Installation System (5/6) - 100%
Loading Installation System (6/6) - 100%
stty: standard input: unable to preform all requested operations
starting dbus…Unkowen username “polkitd” in message bus configuration file
Unknown username “polkitd” in message bus configuration file
Failed to start message bus: Failed to bind socket “/fun/dbus/system_bus_socket”: No such file or directory
failed
starting klogd… ok
rcnscd: no such service nscd
starting yast…
> int.14: soft raid

Then it just hangs there and does nothing else?

And which version did you download exactly?
This really looks like a broken image…

I downloaded the 13.1 4.7GB DVD medium, via bittorrent, 32-bit version.

Recommend you try downloading a 32-bit LiveCD and running your network install off that. The image is much smaller and likely won’t load your USB stick as heavily.
You should probably do an MD5 hash comparison to verify the downloaded ISO integrity although “better” torrent clients would have already ensured file integrity.
Keep your existing DVD on thumbdrive, or transfer it to optical media or keep as an ISO on your system when it’s installed for repairs, install repo, etc.

Although I haven’t delved into what User is setup temporarily, I doubt it’s “polkit”

Aside from corrupted files on your USB stick, its flash memory may not be rated high enough to do more than simply store small files.

IMO,
TSU

Or the NET-install iso, that’s even smaller. :wink:
But of course you will have to have a working Internet connection during the install as it downloads all packages from the mirrors.

Although I haven’t delved into what User is setup temporarily, I doubt it’s “polkit”

No, it’s “polkitd”.
The PolicyKit daemon (polkitd) runs as that user. And polkitd is needed for many other system things (especially dbus, which in turn is needed by systemd).

Figured out the problem, turned out to be a hardware issue. I believe it was my harddrive, it was failing or burnt out, who knows.

Replaced the harddrive and it working now, thanks!

Check your display drivers?