12.3 DVD won't boot - reboots itself immediately after the bootloader loads the kernel into memory

I can’t install/upgrade from the 12.3 DVD (x86-64) - when booting this image and selecting any option from the OpenSUSE menu (Installation, Check Media, anything) it begins to load the kernel, and as soon as the kernel is 100% loaded by the bootloader (but not actually executing), the system reboots itself.

I have installed/upgraded with OpenSUSE DVDs many times in the past on this very same machine (no hardware changes ever), including 11.2, 11.3, 11.4, 12.1 and 12.2. This is the first time it cannot boot the DVD installation media.

Is it failing on some hardware that is no longer detected? Is there some kernel command-line argument that can be added to get past this initial failure?

The system is only about 3 years old. It is not a UEFI system - just standard BIOS/MBR. CPU is AMC Phenom II X4 945. Video is NVIDIA GT216 GeForce GT 220.

Did the download .iso file pass the md5sum check ?

Are you confident that your DVD media is good ? ie +R or -R and not an RW that has been used many times. A quality DVD media (not some bargain basement no name brand) ? And burned at the slowest speed your DVD burner would allow ?

Can you boot from a liveCD ?

On 2013-03-24 17:16, magmaiceman wrote:
> I have installed/upgraded with OpenSUSE DVDs many times in the past on
> this very same machine (no hardware changes ever), including 11.2, 11.3,
> 11.4, 12.1 and 12.2. This is the first time it cannot boot the DVD
> installation media.

Did you verify the download and the burn?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

Yes, verified the download (PGP and MD5SUM) before burning, and then verified the burn as well (MD5SUM).

Also, have tried the same DVD in another (newer) system, and it boots up fine there. Just not in the 3-year old system (details above) which is currently running 12.2.

On the initial screen, try selecting text mode.

If that works, then it is a video problem. You could probably install with text mode, and look into video driver problems later.

If that doesn’t work, then I’m out of suggestions for now.

What can you tell us of the quality of the DVD you burned ? Slowest speed possible. Bargain basement or quality DVD ?

Just cause it worked on a different PC does not mean all, as it is not uncommon for a DVD to work on a newer system, but not on an older.

Have you tried a liveCD with this PC that has the problem you note ?

The DVD reads fine in the system in question. I can boot into another OS (i.e. from hard disk, or into Knoppix) and do an MD5SUM of the installation media (DVD) manually, thus actually reading the DVD from within the system in question, and the MD5SUM is correct. I just can’t boot from it.

Try booting the DVD with “nomodeset” on the Options line. This maybe related to the NVIDIA.

On 2013-03-24 21:06, magmaiceman wrote:
>
> The DVD reads fine in the system in question. I can boot into another
> OS (i.e. from hard disk, or into Knoppix) and do an MD5SUM of the
> installation media (DVD) manually, thus actually reading the DVD from
> within the system in question, and the MD5SUM is correct. I just can’t
> boot from it.

Well, it maybe that your system is not compatible with 12.3 booting for
some reason.

I would try a USB stick, anyway, if your BIOS can boot from it.

If both cases fail, report in bugzilla, and wait for 13.1… :frowning:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

The reason I did not suggest that is I believe ‘NOKMS’ option does the same as ‘nomodeset’ boot code, and the OP indirectly stated they tried that option and it did not work … I quote :

Please try the liveCD.

There is a logical reason for that.

The idea here is to completely remove the possibility of the install media (whether DVD data content or DVD media content) … for if it fails on the CD then it suggests there is something in the openSUSE 12.3 packaging. But if it fails only on the DVD and not on the CD, it points still to the DVD media.

And yes, I have DVDs that read fine in the system in question (when booted from another partition on the PC) but I could not install from those DVDs. So that is not a conclusive test.

Edit : I really mean try from the liveDVD media (~850MB or so in size) and not from the installation DVD (~4.5GB)

Yes I had actually already tried the nomodeset option (as well as several others). No luck. I’ll keep trying with a few other options. Note that when the bootloader is 100% complete in loading the kernel, it reobots almost right away - so something very early on in the boot process is causing a panic (or something similar).

I should have been more precise - all options related to the Linux kernel do not boot from the DVD - but non-Linux options such as Memory Check (memtest) do work (it runs without an underlying LInux O/S).

P.S. Downloading the Live DVD now just as a test

On 2013-03-24 23:06, magmaiceman wrote:
>
> Yes I had actually already tried the nomodeset option (as well as
> several others). No luck. I’ll keep trying with a few other options.
> Note that when the bootloader is 100% complete in loading the kernel, it
> reobots almost right away - so something very early on in the boot
> process is causing a panic (or something similar).

And you can not see any text errors? Normally you press <ESC> during
boot to see the boot messages.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Just tried the 12.3 LIVE DVD (as opposed to the installation DVD) - exactly the same problem - as soon as the kernel is 100% loaded, the system immediately reboots. Pressing ESC to view debug messages is of no use because the reboot occurs as soon as the kernel is done loading (from the bootloader) and before it even begins executing.

OK, thanks. Reviewing this thread I see three possible courses of action:

• double check that you tried every possible option in the boot menu (and it reads like you have done that already)
  • borrow an external USB DVD reader , plug that in to your PC and see if you can boot off of that. This will remove your PC’s DVD reader as a possible cause of the problem
  • write a bug report on openSUSE. There is guidance here: https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Submitting_bug_reports Possibly one of the SuSE-GmbH experts will be able to help there (note we are volunteers on this forum and not the openSUSE packagers/developers). You can use your openSUSE forum username and password when logging on to the bugzilla site

Note I am assuming your PC hardware is good (other than your DVD reader) and you have confirmed that.

Thanks for the info - I will try an external DVD reader as well as making a bootable USB image. I actually already filed the Bugzilla (bug # 811271). Will keep you posted as to how things progress.

Thanks again.

More information:

Today I tried the install/upgrade again, but this time using a USB key with the ISO image on it (and the BIOS set accordingly to boot from the USB key). Precisely the same thing occurs - the system reboots the instant the bootloader reaches 100% of loading the Linux kernel into memory.

Just as I did for the DVD, the MD5SUM of the USB key was verified before booting from it.

So to summarize everything to date:

• 1 of my 4 systems will not boot the 12.3 installation DVD, nor the 12.3 KDE LIVE DVD, whether this DVD image is burned to DVD or flashed to a USB key. The other 3 systems have no problem with it.
  • The system in question is only about 3 years old - it is an HPE-130f. It is not a UEFI system - just standard BIOS/MBR. CPU is AMC Phenom II X4 945. Video is NVIDIA GT216 GeForce GT220. Motherboard is H-RS880 uATX with an AMC 785G chipset.
  • The system in question currently runs OpenSUSE 12.2, and to date have never had any issues botting/installating/upgrading with OpenSUSE DVDs in the past. Have previously installed/upgraded 11.2, 11.3, 11.4, 12.1 and 12.2.
  • The system in question is still able to boot these older DVDs (11.2, 11.3, 11.4, 12.1, 12.2) - I still have many lying around. It is also able to boot other LIVE DVDs and CDs such as Knoppix, Fedora, etc. It is only the OpenSUSE 12.3 on that it has a problem with.
  • When booting from the OpenSUSE12.3 DVD (or USB copy of the DVD), the only selection that ‘works’ from the main menu is the Memory Test (which does not load a Linux kernel). All other options (Installation, Firmware Test, Check Installation Media, Rescue, etc) all fail the moment the bootloader has reached the 100% mark of loading the Linux kernel into memory - at this point the system simply reboots. It occurs essentially immediately when the 100% mark is reached, such that pressing ESC to get kernel debug has no effect.

Did you try pressing f3 and selecting nokms?

Sounds like a video problem. I had one with my older (6800+) card and nokms allowed the boot and install

Yes indeed. Tried NOKMS, ‘Safe’ kernel options, and a wealth of kernel command-line options as well (noapic, apci=off, mce=off, apm=off, etc.)