[12.3 64bit] Steam will not start

Installed steam with the one-click install and it started and updated but after that when I start steam it pops up for a second then goes away. I also started it through the terminal and got this:

cole@linux-1woq:~> steam
Running Steam on 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1378500910_client)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1378500910_client)
unlinked 0 orphaned pipes
removing stale semaphore last operated on by process 7375 with name 0eBlobRegistryMutex_83B8F9F8B7169384EA42F35AC275401A
removing stale semaphore last operated on by process 7375 with name 0eBlobRegistrySignal_83B8F9F8B7169384EA42F35AC275401A
removing stale semaphore last operated on by process 7375 with name 0emSteamEngineInstance
removing stale semaphore last operated on by process 7375 with name 0eSteamEngineLock

(steam:8355): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: “oxygen-gtk”,

(steam:8355): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: “oxygen-gtk”,
[0921/155839:WARNING:proxy_service.cc(958)] PAC support disabled because there is no system implementation
Steam: An X Error occurred
X Error of failed request: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 155 (ATIFGLEXTENSION)
Minor opcode of failed request: 66
Serial number of failed request: 35
xerror_handler: X failed, continuing
X Error of failed request: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 154 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
Serial number of failed request: 66
Minor opcode of failed request: 19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
Serial number of failed request: 95
Minor opcode of failed request: 14 (X_GLXGetVisualConfigs)
Serial number of failed request: 124

I’ve tried starting it with STEAM_RUNTIME=0 and I get the same result. Not sure if i just didn’t install it correctly or what but I don’t know what to do.

System Specs:

i5-3570k
8gb 1600Mhz
7870Ghz edition
fglrx

Video card and driver?? Most of those seem to be video errors

Listed in the OP but its an amd 7870Ghz edition and all i know about the drivers are that they are the fglrx proprietary ones.

sorry did not see that but that should be on so I don’t know. Just noticed that most of the errors were X related and thus maybe a video issue

Please install the package “Mesa-demo-x” and post the output of:

glxinfo | grep render

Does the OP maybe have one of these configs with a GPU on the i5, plus a discrete AMD/ATI?

I ended up just starting on a fresh install and compiled the drivers myself and now I don’t have this error.