12.1 will not reboot after shutdown

I installed 12.1 on a Lenovo T420, with KDE desktop if it matters. I used the entire disk for 12.1 (no other OS installed on the disk, no vendor rescue partition, the whole disk is openSuse 12.1). The installation went smoothly without any issues. The system runs great. BUT after I shutdown the system will not reboot, it acts like the disk is bare.

Do I need a DOS boot partition?

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks.

So is that it? It ran one time and then you are dead? If not, how do you get it to restart? Power down and then power up and it works OK? It would be nice to see the output of three files. Open up a terminal session and run:

sudo cat /boot/grub/device.map
sudo cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
sudo cat /etc/fstab

Copy and then past the output of each command into a forum message using the Advanced message editor and placing the text withing a highlighted Code # field. It will look like the command above. With this info, we may be able to provide some help. There is also a great utility called findgrub by please_try_again that can be ran and gives very good booting information you can find here: http://www.unixversal.com/linux/openSUSE/findgrub-3.5.1.tgz, decompress the file, I would save it in the bin folder (/home/yourname/bin/findgrub). To use, open up a terminal session and run this command:

findgrub

Thank You,

James,

Thanks for the quick response.

Ya that is it, just a blank screen and the drive light stays lit. No errors, no safe boot, nothing.

So I put the drive in the ultra bay and booted Windows 7 and then used diskpart to remove all partitions and reinstalled 12.1 with Gnome and again the install went smoothly and operation worked well. Then I rebooted and it took forever but I got an error message, didn’t write it down, but still could not get a terminal. Then I tried to power cycle with the CD in the drive and it just hung. So I then opened the bios config and reset the bios to the default settings and rebooted. Everything worked great then. Don’t know what I had changed in the defaults but that was the problem.

Appreciate your time.

That is very ingenious to think of doing a BIOS reset, particularly when it works and does not hurt. Not sure what was set that openSUSE does not like, but one item that comes up is the default boot drive. openSUSE can’t guess the real boot drive when it is not the first hard drive and your BIOS can be set to boot off any drive first. So, its important when you install openSUSE to verify in the boot section that the correct boot drive is listed first if you have made any changes from the default. The grub boot loader can be used in all sorts of configurations but is unable to guess some automatically. Any good news is good, no matter how you may happen upon it. And, welcome to the openSUSE forums vijer!

Thank You,

I did edit the boot order previously but I believe it still would have been similar to the default, i.e. CD/DVD then DISK 0 but perhaps just editing the order at all confused openSuse. Anyway it works which is great.

Install of openSuse 12.1 was the easiest OS install I have ever done, Windows 7 is pretty smooth too though. Of course a lot of that has to do with using new hardware and Lenovo is one of the best Laptops on the market.

Now if I could just combine features of KDE and Gnome! ha ha ha Both have pros and cons.