12.1 media only boots in Safe Settings mode

After burning and reburning at different speeds, different media, different devices, it appears I can only boot in “Safe Settings” mode. If I attempt to boot the LiveCD normally, the boot hangs after what appears to be a search/verification of USB devices. I realize this is rather vague information but it’s all I have. Any suggestions/tips/workarounds so that I can upgrade from 11.4 would be highly appreciated.

After burning and reburning at different speeds, different media, different devices, it appears I can only boot in “Safe Settings” mode. If I attempt to boot the LiveCD normally, the boot hangs after what appears to be a search/verification of USB devices. I realize this is rather vague information but it’s all I have. Any suggestions/tips/workarounds so that I can upgrade from 11.4 would be highly appreciated.

When booting a LiveCD, if FailSafe works, you might try just entering the kernel load option: nomodeset, which is part of the FailSafe startup, but only effectes the default video driver used. When you do a full install, you might want to select the VESA video mode (F5), add on any restart, add in the nomodeset command until such time as you can edit the grub menu.lst file (/boot/grub/menu.lst) and add the nomodeset kernel load option to be used all of the time.

Thank You,

Thanks for your quick response. I’ve tried your suggestions with the same result. HOWEVER, your response did prompt me to try different options and the one that worked for me was VESA and No ACPI. I can get into the install portion now and all functions on the LiveCD work. However, I’d like to upgrade from 11.4 and, unlike a couple of screenshots posted here, I don’t get the option. Any ideas?

Can’t “upgrade” with a CD you need to use the DVD

Aaaaaaahhhh… Can do. Lord knows, I’ve burned enough in a variety of combinations! :slight_smile: