12.1: fun issues with kdeinit4/kded

Sorry to add on to the piles of questions, I’ll try to keep this one brief. I upgraded to 12.1 last night. Everything seemed to have gone smoothly, except that when KDE started up I was greeted with a friendly little error message announcing that kdeinit4 had encountered a segmentation fault. (Wouldn’t you know it, I’ve been using different flavors of Linux since 2006, openSUSE since March 2010, and not once have I had a version upgrade go completely without issue. Still beats the heck out of Windows though!)

Here’s what I found in dmesg:

kded4[7214]: segfault at 0 ip 00007f586539d1c8 sp 00007fff9c9cc300 error 4 in libsolidcontrolnm09.so.4.7.0[7f586538c000+1d000]

Here’s what I get when starting kdeinit4 from a terminal:

~$ kdeinit4
kdeinit4: Shutting down running client.
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
Object::connect: No such signal QDBusAbstractInterface::StateChanged(uint)
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kded(6587) Kded::loadModule: Could not load library "kded_synaptiks" .  "Das Modul „kded_synaptiks“ für die Anwendung „kded“ kann nicht gefunden werden." ] 
QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::deviceFound(Device*) to BlueDevilDaemon::deviceFound(Device*)
QObject::connect: Cannot connect QTimer::timeout() to (null)::stopDiscovery()
kded(6587) LayoutMemoryPersister::restoreFromFile: Failed to open layout memory xml file for reading "/home/[username]/.kde4/share/apps/kded/session/keyboard/layout_memory.xml" error: 5 
QFSFileEngine::open: No file name specified
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/bin/kded4 from kdeinit
sock_file=/home/[username]/.kde4/socket-[computername]/kdeinit4__0
kded(6586): Communication problem with  "kded" , it probably crashed. 
Error message was:  "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)" " 

KCrash: Application 'kded4' crashing...
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib64/kde4/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
sock_file=/home/[username]/.kde4/socket-[computername]/kdeinit4__0
Object::connect: No such signal QDBusAbstractInterface::StateChanged(uint)
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kded(6591) Kded::loadModule: Could not load library "kded_synaptiks" .  "Das Modul „kded_synaptiks“ für die Anwendung „kded“ kann nicht gefunden werden." ] 
kded(6591) Kded::loadModule: Could not load library "kded_kpackagekitd" .  "Das Modul „kded_kpackagekitd“ für die Anwendung „kded“ kann nicht gefunden werden." ] 
QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::deviceFound(Device*) to BlueDevilDaemon::deviceFound(Device*)
QObject::connect: Cannot connect QTimer::timeout() to (null)::stopDiscovery()
kded(6591) LayoutMemoryPersister::restoreFromFile: Failed to open layout memory xml file for reading "/home/[username]/.kde4/share/apps/kded/session/keyboard/layout_memory.xml" error: 5 
QFSFileEngine::open: No file name specified
kded(6590): Communication problem with  "kded" , it probably crashed. 
Error message was:  "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)" " 

This has led to various wonky effects, probably the most noticeable being that power management is completely broken (“Power Management configuration module could not be loaded”). In addition various other parts of KDE, such as kwin, crash at random times; visible error messages mention the same file (libsolidcontrolnm09.so).

I’ve tried deleting ~/.kde and ~/.kde4 in the hopes that the problem is caused by a leftover configuration file from an older version of KDE (I just upgraded from 11.4 to 12.1 and consequently a new version of KDE) but that did nothing. I’d rather not reinstall openSUSE completely but if there are no other easy options I’ll just go ahead and do it.

Just to let you know that I have the same problem after performing an update from 11.4 -> 12.1.

When logging in as root user (which had no config changes from the default new root user installation) everhing works fine, so I presume it’s a leftover config (a “.” directory somewhere!) problem from my old non-root user.

Wil scratch around today in the hopes of finding a cure…

I found the problem with my failed upgrade :slight_smile:

My 11.4 ran a KDE 4.7.3 desktop, and openSUSE 12.1 downgraded that to it included version of 4.7.2. After switching the system to the KDE 4.7.3 repository and running an upgrade I have a working NetworkManager, powerdevil, etc…

I agree with ChristoSnake, that this is probably due to something in your personal settings that “won’t upgrade”.

You could try creating a new user, and see how things work for that user.

It is not just “.kde” and “.kde4”. There are other files that could be involved. In my home directory, I count 75 files/directories with names that begin with “.”. Some of those are harmless. Some are files that I created myself for my own use. But a lot of them are created by software that is part of KDE. Probably “.config” and maybe “.local” are particularly significant.

Hi,

I also had the KDE 4.7.3 kded4 crash problem after upgrading from 11.4 to 12.1. For me it helped to remove /var/tmp/kdecache-<user>

Problem is in the NetworkManager. If you use traditional ifconfig - just remove NM in Software Management. That has helped to me.

Yup, that was it! So many functions were either disabled or hindered by having that program there. Cookie manager, Package Kit update check, some items embedded in the tray would not respond when clicked on and on and on. I’m on a lan behind a firewall/router so there is no reason for me to need local kde network management. When it comes to networking, if it isn’t in Yast, I’m walking past.