12.1 beta comments

Still need “nomodeset” to get some sort of graphics but even that seems
worse than before with incorrect resolution now on this nVidia machine.
Yet to try on Radeon machine but I can’t see that being any better.

Wireless with ifup still not working. I still have to add more info to my
bug-report so partly my fault.

First real boot after installation stalled. Complained that my ext4 raid
wasn’t valid ext2 and then sat there sulking. Got me a bit worried that
something was really amiss but rebooting to 11.4 gave no such trouble.

Not exactly a rip-roaring success.

Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 11.4 (64-bit); KDE 4.7.1; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (using nVidia driver);
Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA); Wireless: BCM4306

In krusader with kde 4.7.1 dont work internal editor and internal viewer.

Well, things got worse. Can not sign on to my user area -or- root. Get the sign-on screen, enter user name and password and then the progress bar goes about 4/5ths of the way and hangs. I do get the log on tune -but- NO Desktop.

Only way I can get logged on after installing nVidia 285.03 (which worked in MS5++) is to use x11failsafe… and then that does not use the nVidia drivers. Uses fbdev instead… with my screen offset to the left by a 1/4 inch.

Managed to do a fresh install of X86_64 Beta 1 from dvd yesterday. The first reboot resulted in a screen full of rubbish, but even though I couldn’t see anything useful, I could hear the HDD working so left it until I heard the music indicating a completed boot (but still a trashed desktop). Having removed the dvd, a reboot was successful - KDE appeared too and I’ve been using Beta 1 since without noticing more than a few minor problems.

The install has given me Linux 3.1.0-rc7-3, KDE 4.7.1 and the nouveau version Gallium (7.11). Glad to see that nomodeset NOT needed. Looking good. This install is on my PC1 (see below) using a spare disk.

All went well here (installing from the kde live cd 64bit). My only hiccup was installing using “nomodeset” which gave me a silly small resolution using only 2/3rds of the screen…Installing the nvidia driver 280.13 put things right.

Only other slight complication so far has been installing vlc - as the tumbleweed version (there isn’t a factory version yet) looks for libMagickCore 4 & libMagickWand 4 when Beta 1 has moved the versions to 5.

My sandbox PC (on which I was successfully able to install 12.1 Milestone-5) thus far does not like 12.1 beta (milestone-6). I’m currently in the middle of my 2nd install attempt (the 1st failed after all software was installed, but before the final configuration (during the restart)) with the error message:

error: can't create a transition lock on /var/lib/rpm/ .rpm lock (no such file or directory)

and it just stayed at that text message for minutes. When I pressed <enter> nothing happened. When I pressed <ctrl><c> the install aborted. A reboot failed at the login screen (freezing). Note I had specified a direct login. Trying to boot this failed install with ‘nomodeset’ boot code was the same.

I’m now trying a 2nd install with the boot code ‘nomodeset’, but I’m not optimistic. I may need to try a ‘safe settings’ install next.

I also tried to boot same PC to the liveCD, with some success.

1. booting the 32-bit liveCD with no boot code resulted in the PC failing to get into run level-5, and stopping at run level-3. Logging in as user ‘linux’ and adding ‘nv’ to the 50-device.conf file did not work (with an init 5). Likely due to kms.
  2. booting the 32-bit liveCD with the ‘nomodeset’ boot code resulted in the PC booting to KDE but to the ‘fbdev’ driver and not the ‘nv’ driver. When I looked at 'mycomputer it stated ‘nouveau’ driver which was in conflict with the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file which clearly indicated the fbdev driver in use.
  3. booting the 32-bit liveCD with the ‘nomodeset 3’ boot codes brought me to an ascii login that I wanted. I logged in as user ‘linux’ and edited the 50-device.conf file, inserting ‘nv’ for the nouveau driver. Then typing ‘init 5’ with root permissions brought me to KDE with the ‘nv’ driver. This time both ‘mycomputer’ and Xorg.0.log file concurred that the ‘nv’ driver was loaded. This 3rd liveCD boot was promising.

I note in all cases the F3 key at the grub menu does not work. This makes it impossible to select a different install resolution.

… still … thus far no luck with the DVD. I’ll try a bit more. I note this is an ancient athlon-1100 PC with 2GB RAM and an FX5200 nvidia graphic card.

The second boot failed. Same error.

I’m now going to try a ‘safe settings’ install from this same 32-bit DVD of 12.1 beta.

I should also note the above was with the 32-bit openSUSE-12.1 beta DVD selecting the LXDE desktop.

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 10:44:31 +0000, Cloddy wrote:

> First real boot after installation stalled. Complained that my ext4 raid
> wasn’t valid ext2 and then sat there sulking. Got me a bit worried that
> something was really amiss but rebooting to 11.4 gave no such trouble.

Seems as though it was just in a funny mood; a couple of boots since then
have gone without showing this crazy glitch.

Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 11.4 (64-bit); KDE 4.7.1; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (using nVidia driver);
Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA); Wireless: BCM4306

The 3rd install attempt (of LXDE) from the 32-bit 12.1 DVD failed, this time with ‘safe settings’ - same error.

I’m now going to try one last attempt, this time with ‘nomodeset’ boot code and KDE desktop (to see if this is LXDE desktop specific problem).

4th install attempt from 32-bit openSUSE-12.1 beta DVD failed on this athlon-1100 w/2GB RAM and an FX5200 nvidia card. Here is error message:
http://thumbnails56.imagebam.com/15207/d1270e152062288.jpg](ImageBam)

Has anyone encountered this problem ?

error: can't create a transition lock on /var/lib/rpm/ .rpm lock (no such file or directory)

This happens after the software install is complete, but just before the 1st reboot.

Normal install fails. Install with 'nomodeset fails. Safe settings install fails. 2 different desktop selections does not matter - still fails. I tripled checked MD5sum of downloaded ISO file. It is good. DVD is a good quality verbatim -R DVD.

Is the work around (if any) known to anyone?

oldcpu - that sounds like too many problems! i can remember having the same error problem ‘transition lock on /var/lib/rpm/’ a year or so ago. in the end i put it down to a problem with the dvd write and did a fresh d/l and dvd burn. i appreciate that you have checked the MD5sum but to go wrong on two different p/c set ups sounds unusual. Perhaps it might be sensible to try again but with a live cd instead.

Tried to install from the 32-bit DVD of 12.1 beta. Stock selections, except putting bootloader on root partition. I, too, got the unrecoverable error quoted previously:
“error: can’t create a transaction lock on /var/lib/rpm/ .rpm lock (no such file or directory)”

Strangely, the KDE4 live CD of 12.1 Beta booted through to the desktop (albeit slowly) and worked fine! So it must be something peculiar to the installation routines on the DVD.

Not ready for prime time testing with this type of unrecoverable bug. I’ll not be doing any more testing of 12.1 until this is addressed, and a workaround or new cut of the DVD is produced.

I may try burning the DVD again. The failure is consistent (exact same place). I’m not interested in putting KDE on this sandbox PC (I run LXDE on it) so I confess I’m not particularly keen on installing from liveCD as that provides only a KDE or Gnome choice. But I may try a liveCD install just to clean up the mess the failed DVD install left.

In my case with that error, I note I was putting 12.1 on sdb (as sda has 2 other GNU/Linux installs) and everything else was the same. The error message appears to have no association with boot loader aspects thou …

Its a nasty bug (if indeed its not a DVD burn problem - your post makes me think not a DVD burn hiccup) but wrt prime time comments IMHO those are counter productive and its better to write bug reports and contribute and keep one’s own overall assessment private … but that’s just MHO.

Lee I get the same issue
Can’t use the DVD at all

The kde live cd worked

I decided not to waste time but instead I wrote a bug report: Access Denied on the failed install with the error:

… if I screwed up in this bug report, I can always profusely apologize later. But I believe I created the DVD correctly (and I’ve created hundreds of installation DVDs over the past many years). I’m very busy after this long weekend (in Germany) with business trips coming up, and it will be difficult for me to support the bug report resolution.

I decided to NOT install from liveCD, but rather I will leave the failed DVD install in place. There could be log files on the hard drive better documenting the failed install, and I’ll see what SuSE-GmbH packagers ask for (if anything). GRUB was successfully written by the install, and I can still boot to another openSUSE GNU/Linux partition on that PC.

I tried it 3 times and every time it failed as you describe.
I was on a system already with a running 11.4 system and booting from that.
The 12.1 install locked up with that error. Hard re-boot brought me to the 11.4 grub boot, so the bootloader was not installed properly, but from 11.4 grub with a menu.lst boot link, 12.1 booted, but the user was not established and login was not possible as user or root.

After reading the postings:-

caf4926
Can’t use the DVD at all

I am so glad I didn’t d/l the dvd (as living in the sticks my internet connection isn’t that fast and it takes 5 hours to d/l the dvd)