11.4 RC1- atd fais to start jobs via the batch command

I tested OpenSUSE 11.4 RC1 x86_64 on an AMD Phenom II X4 965 machine with 8 GB RAM. It is a promising release, however there is a problem with the “batch” command or the atd daemon. Atd is enabled and running, however, jobs called via batch are queued but actually never started. They have to be removed from queue with the atrm command.
Setting ATD_BATCH_INTERVAL=0 and ATD_LOADAVG=4 (from default “” values) in /etc/sysconfig/atd does not help, so the problem is not the system load.
I never had such problems with atd (or batch) in previous releases (SuSE 9.0 - 11.3). I hope it will be fixed in the final release.

I tested OpenSUSE 11.4 RC1 x86_64 on an AMD Phenom II X4 965 machine with 8 GB RAM. It is a promising release, however there is a problem with the “batch” command or the atd daemon. Atd is enabled and running, however, jobs called via batch are queued but actually never started. They have to be removed from queue with the atrm command.
Setting ATD_BATCH_INTERVAL=0 and ATD_LOADAVG=4 (from default “” values) in /etc/sysconfig/atd does not help, so the problem is not the system load.
I never had such problems with atd (or batch) in previous releases (SuSE 9.0 - 11.3). I hope it will be fixed in the final release.

Sounds like you may have found a bug in openSUSE 11.4 RC1. Have you reported it or researched the problem besides posting this message here in the forum? If not, why not consider making a bug report?

Thank You,

I reported the bug today in bugzilla. I did a second test on a system upgraded from openSUSE 11.3 (atd worked flawlessly on that machine before upgrade). The same situation as on the previous clean install. Jobs not only fail to start when invoked via batch but also when I try to start them directly with the “at now” command (again, they are just queued). The bug is still present in the newer at-3.1.8-1092.1.x86_64.rpm package found in Factory.
This is quite bad for me because I use openSUSE for scientific calculations where the possibility to run jobs via batch in non-interactive remote sessions is essential.

I reported the bug today in bugzilla. I did a second test on a system upgraded from openSUSE 11.3 (atd worked flawlessly on that machine before upgrade). The same situation as on the previous clean install. Jobs not only fail to start when invoked via batch but also when I try to start them directly with the “at now” command (again, they are just queued). The bug is still present in the newer at-3.1.8-1092.1.x86_64.rpm package found in Factory.
This is quite bad for me because I use openSUSE for scientific calculations where the possibility to run jobs via batch in non-interactive remote sessions is essential.
So finding a bug in openSUSE 11.4 is bad, but it is good that you found it and got to report it before its final release. I say good to you and thank you for helping make openSUSE a better product. We can only hope the issue can be discovered before the release next month.

Thank You,