11.4 Mx install questions

It’s probably time to move from my (mostly) problem free and very stable 11.2. I’m going to do a clean install to test 11.4 M6, but, in addition, would also like to test it as an upgrade to 11.2. What I’d like to avoid, and this really applies to the final 11.4 release, is to avoid losing and re-entering all the configuration changes done over the year(s). The two ways I could do this are:

1- copy entire current 11.2 partition, make needed changes, boot into it and zypper dup to 11.4 M6

2- create empty formatted partiton, copy just /home, and do a “clean” M6 install with the 11.2 /home already there

So, the questions are, would either work, is either preferred, or is 11.4 just too different than 11.2 that I’m stuck with clean install and tedious setup.

If it’s 11.2 to 11.4. There will be a number of things different in 11.4. So, the best way is to do a clean install. Keep your /home partition and /data partition. I always create a /data partition for backup & storage.

Using a USB storage device is very handy for backup of .mozilla (Firefox) and .thunderbird(Thunderbird).

Create and rename a backup copy of .kde4. Copy .kde4-backup to USB or /data partition. The .kde4-backup directory contains all of your conf file settngs for KDE apps and desktop/panel settings.

I always recommend backing up .kde4 directory even if you do not overwrite the /home partition. In case something goes wrong with the installation or KDE.

If you are a GNOME user, I would still recommend saving your /home partition.

The following partitions can be overwritten for a clean installation:

• /boot
  • /
  • /usr

Remember to have fun!

Romanator

On 01/24/2011 02:36 PM, C0ff33 wrote:
>
> It’s probably time to move from my (mostly) problem free and very stable
> 11.2. I’m going to do a clean install to test 11.4 M6

according to this info: http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:System_upgrade
what you intend to do is not a supported upgrade path…

read carefully and you will find to get from 11.2 to 11.4 you need to
upgrade first to 11.3

and, of course your questions then on how to do it would stand…so
i’ll tell you how i just ‘upgraded’ from 10.3 to 11.3, i
didn’t…instead i took a virgin hard disk and did an install of 11.3,
then (while shutdown) i reconnected the old 10.3 hard drive and copied
data i wanted to preserve on to the new drive…

and, in about 12 hours over a couple of days i’ve rebuilt most of my
needed capability…

yes, i know that is a lot of time–but, so is trying to figure out why
your (for example) Firefox3++ is acting so crazy, and it takes 30
hours of sweat to learn the problem came with the configuration of the
(for example) firefox2.x.x in your home directory…

and, multiply that one app by all which may, or may not, show lots of
little strange problems…or fail to run at all!!

still wanna upgrade? at least take it one version step at a time,
after a really good backup.

ymmv, and others here will have other opinions…follow the one you
like the best…

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.4.4
release 3, Thunderbird3.0.11,]
“It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
to undo the problems caused by not.” DD 23 Jan 11

Good advice posted here.

Providing that you have a good tested back-up of your data, there is no problem trying the simple upgrade route. If it works out too messy you can always do a clean install and add your data back manually or by going down the separate home partition route.

I cannot remember how many times I have saved myself by backing up all of my necessary files to my /data partition

Romanator

Thanks to all for the quick replies.

Unfortunately, a clean install is pretty much the answer I expected. The way i’m setup, all of my data and the apps I could move (firefox, thunderbird, etc) are on a separate raid1 partition. home is on the / partiton, and I use partedmagic to copy the entire partiton to reserved space on other drives.

I probably won’t bother testing any upgrade options, this way I can spend my time telling gnome I only want to see two recent apps, and yast to use qt, and sw install to restart, and change the theme, and the fonts and the background, and so on, and on, and on…

It would be nice if yast, gnome-config, whatever kde uses, etc logged these changes to a file. Just a single line "20110124 yast “xyz” changed from “a” to “b”. Then, at the least, we’d have a complete list of configuration changes. Which, initially, we could use for hand-tuning, but later could be used to feed a script to automate the process. Maybe 11.5.

Thanks again.

Why not spend a little time to write your ideas down. Add your request(s) with openFATE and Bugzilla?
I really think it would be worth your time.

openSUSE 11.4 is really shaping up to be a great release.

Good luck with the upgrade.

Romanator