11.4 Milestone 3: delayed

Here’s note, from S Kulow (opensuse-devel list):

Hi,

The most annoying M2 bug is still not fixed (Xorg crashes) and I don’t
consider releasing Milestone3 in this state useful ;(

So I will cancel Milestone3 and move it to hopefully next week. If we can’t
get to the core of it, we may need to disable compositing use in KDE.

Greetings, Stephan

Thanks for posting S.Kulow’s post from the opensuse-devel list.

This actually works better for me. I’m headed off on vacation tomorrow (5-Nov) and won’t be back in Europe until 15-Nov. Thus I won’t be able to test milestone-3 until that later date at the very soonest.

That’s a shame, but I can see the logic in it.

i would’t be unhappy if it shuffled the whole schedule along by a week, as it would give more time for the following:

https://features.opensuse.org/310080 (KDE 4.6 for opensuse 11.4)
https://features.opensuse.org/310646 (Kernel 2.6.37 for opensuse 11.4edit)
https://features.opensuse.org/310758 (Multitouch input layer from X.Org Server 1.10 for opensuse 11.4)
https://features.opensuse.org/310778 (Project Bretzn app-store to be integrated into opensuse 11.4)

Having run up against the wall with 11.4 MS2 vis-a-vis the Intel GMA HD problem, a wait of one week or more is made tolerable due to the prospect of Kernel 2.6.37. I have run kernels up to and including 2.6.36-90.1 without success with the Intel GA. Perhaps the delay will also help the intermittent touchpad-related problems experienced.

To: opensuse-factory@opensuse.org
Subject: [opensuse-factory] Status: Milestone3
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 09:32:13 +0100

Hi,

Build845 is considered a good Milestone3 and so I’m uploading it
to the mirrors right now.

The version updates of that release can be checked here:
openSUSE:Factory versions - openSUSE

I hope someone is preparing an announcement.

Greetings, Stephan

You can get them here

Index of /factory/iso

Downloaded, burned and installed. Install non-eventful, with the liveCD and its desktop installer functioning correctly (as with prior 11.4’s) with the Intel GMA HD. Prior touchpad/keyboard lags seem improved, although still present.

Installed kernel is 2.6.36-18.

On the down side, the actual installed 11.4 MS3 does NOT support the Intel GMA HD graphics, requiring boot with nomodeset. As in prior threads and posts, it seems that the liveCD has the correct drivers for the device, yet installs (apologies to John Cleese) “something completely different”.

As with prior posts, boot to runlevel 3 fails with the same “black screen” problem experienced with the normal boot.

On an unrelated note, the -0845 build contains (on the liveCD) and installs LibreOffice. Did I miss the memo on this choice ?

Will post further.

I have a HP G72 with a intel arrandale graphics card.

I installed 11.4 M3 onto it and found that after the installation completed, i would end up with a black screen after reboot.

I found a way to get the graphics to work. Please note that this is a hack.

I started the live cd and copied the xorg intel drivers from the livecd onto a usb stick.

The files i copied was:

/usr/lib64/libdrm_intel.*
/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/intel*

After i rebooted in to the installed opensuse , i copied the files to their locations.

Rebooted and after a short while the graphics came up.

I performed the above steps on my Gateway NV79 i5-430 (an Arrandale). As of this posting, I am still waiting for the graphics to comeup, about 3 minutes. (With apologies to Commander Scott, “at Warp 10 we are going nowhere mighty fast”.)

I have been chasing this problem for some time (reference - The “Black Screen” on Boot … a Surprise !). Two findings following the “copy from liveCD” procedure:

1. Suspend from a running Gnome environment now returns to that environment (as opposed to the black screen). As noted before, KDE returns directly to the operating environment.

2. When checking the modules in question (2 from */usr/lib64/libdrm_intel.*, 4 from /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/intel). each exhibited the following permissions (Ownership):

liveCD
User: root
Group: users

Installed
User: root
Group: root