11.4 Live CD graphics issues

The Live CD for 11.4 doesn’t boot properly on my laptop (3-year-old Dell Studio). Technically, it does boot, but shortly after starting the screen becomes completely covered with static and garbage. If you wait long enough, it will finish booting (the KDE welcome noise plays on a KDE version), but the static remains.

This is really weird since my 11.3 Live CD works fine.

I’ll probably try a 12.1 milestone release soon to see if it’s any better, but I have no idea what could’ve changed that would screw it up so badly. :\

On 09/22/2011 06:36 PM, kog13 wrote:
> I have no idea what could’ve changed that would screw it up
> so badly. :\

different kernel, but are you sure the install disk is not defective?
did you do this prior to trying to boot: http://tinyurl.com/455hbml

if the disk checks good, then may get some help from nomodeset, see
here: http://tinyurl.com/23mgej6

DD
Caveat
openSUSE®, the “German Automobiles” of operating systems

Yeah, it would end up on full static regardless of which option I set (including text mode =/). But, apparently the current development version works fine, so while I still have no idea why 11.4 doesn’t work, I guess I can’t complain much.

On 09/22/2011 07:26 PM, kog13 wrote:
>
> Yeah, it would end up on full static regardless of which option I set

did you actually READ what i wrote? please check the disk as shown…

DD

Yes, but I couldn’t run the check because that too would fail with the same problem. I couldn’t check the media because of the very problem that I’m trying to check.

On 2011-09-23 04:26, kog13 wrote:

> Yes, but I couldn’t run the check because that too would fail with the
> same problem. I couldn’t check the media because of the very problem
> that I’m trying to check.

It is possible to test one CD from the running live system of another version.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

On 09/23/2011 04:26 AM, kog13 wrote:
> Yes, but I couldn’t run the check because that too would fail with the
> same problem. I couldn’t check the media because of the very problem
> that I’m trying to check.

“would fail” or “did fail”? did you even try it???

i do not think it will fail!

since you have time (before the “garbage” starts) to select text mode,
then you have time to push the down arrow a couple of times to select
“Check Installation Media” and then tap the enter key…

then WAIT, it will load the kernel and within a minute go back to a
terminal screen which would not expect to have any “garbage”, then the
self test of the CD begins…what is the result of the test?

DD
Caveat

You would think so, but that is exactly the problem I run into. My screen gets covered with garbage even when booting into a terminal window.

On 09/27/2011 06:46 PM, kog13 wrote:
> You would think so, but that is exactly the problem I run into. My
> screen gets covered with garbage even when booting into a terminal
> window.

use what works (11.3)

hardware problem maybe…(for sure: VERY strange!!)

try the 12.1 milestone 5 at http://software.opensuse.org/developer/

DD
Caveat

A 3 year Dell Studio ?

What graphics ? The Dell Studios were available with different graphics and its impossible for anyone to guess what graphics and be precise.

My Dell Studio 1537 works fine with openSUSE-11.3. It has Radeon HD 3450 graphics. With openSUSE-11.4 liveCD one MUST use the boot code ‘nomodeset’ which will cause it to boot to the radeonhd driver (as opposed to the radeon driver). The liveCD works with the radeonhd driver (on the HD 3450 graphics).

After one installs and updates to the latest packages on openSUSE-11.4 one no longer needs to use the ‘nomodeset’ boot code, and the radeon driver will boot fine.

openSUSE-12.1 M5 liveCD works with the graphics on my Dell Studio 1537.

The 11.3, 12.1m5, and 11.4 GNOME Shell Live CD’s all work fine. It’s just the standard 11.4 Live CD (both GNOME and KDE) that doesn’t work.

Thats likely the known bug on this. I wrote this bug report: Access Denied which was then declared a duplicate of this: Access Denied which was declared a duplicate of this Access Denied which was resolved. But it is only resolved in an update after an installation on the PC.

As I noted, typically the boot code ‘nomodeset’ allows a boot to the radeonhd driver (until an update can be done). Else one can install in failsafe, or install in a text mode, being certain to do the install when on line and apply the online updates.

Again, if you would read, and check, you’d see that the OP checked all the options, incl. text install. And cynical remarks are better left out. Nobody is forcing you to run openSUSE, neither 11.4, nor 12.1 Yet openSUSE does have the build service, which virtually allows you to create your own distro.