11.4 Expectations

Am I wrong to expect the following from Opensuse 11.4 :\

  1. Kernel 2.6.37
  2. KDE 4.6.x
    I was getting excited to see the next new release but it seems unlikely the two main features I was looking forward to will be included. Perhaps I should be content with 11.3 and not feel the need to update to each new Opensuse release?

I tend to want the latest functionality as this is what I demand for my work and hobbies but the opensuse project managers are content for it to be a time based rolling distro. Or have I missed the point of an FOSS OS?

The 2.6.37 Kernel contains a number of new drivers and tweaks which will set it apart and make 11.4 feel like an upgrade to 11.3. Not that 2.6.36 will be a bad choice, its just not the most exciting kernel release.

KDE is only of late picking up from where KDE 3 left off, so why not go for the latest KDE 4.6 release and include some needed performance with functionality! After all will this not help repair the much damaged reputation KDE 4 has left so many FOSS users with?

Am I wrong to think that Opensuse should provide us with the latest releases of the Linux Kernel and KDE desktop?

  1. depends on kde but probably if not it will be easy enough to add the kde 4.6 repository
  2. better tell linus to get cracking because the latest kernel is snapshot: 2.6.36-rc7-git3 2010-10-12 And that is upstream

And the latest stable kernel is http://www.kernel.org/mirrors/countries/flags/us.png http://www.kernel.org/mirrors/countries/flags/eu.png](http://www.kernel.org/)

                            **Latest Stable Kernel:**                              http://www.kernel.org/downloadarrow_small.png](http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.35.7.tar.bz2)                   **             [2.6.35.7](http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.35.7.tar.bz2)         **

allianux wrote:
>
> Perhaps I should be content with 11.3 and not feel the need to update to
> each new Opensuse release?

that attitude works for some…works for me…

> I tend to want the latest functionality as this is what I demand for my
> work and hobbies but the opensuse project managers are content for it to
> be a time based rolling distro.

you don’t have to wait on the “opensuse project managers” for
anything, you are your own master, and allowed to lay any code you
wish into your 11.3 box…

so, if you ‘demand’ more then why wait and be dissatisfied that the
“opensuse project managers” won’t use whatever it is you expected, or
think should be used…

> Or have I missed the point of an FOSS OS?

i don’t know what you think the point is FOSS is…i know that FOSS
is many different things to many different people…if you think it
is the purpose of openSUSE to have the very very latest of everything
available, then you HAVE missed the point of this distro…

we have been discussing what this distro is and is not for months now,
you might look and see if having the bleeding edge of everything is
getting a lot of support…start here:
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Strategy

> The 2.6.37 Kernel contains a number of new drivers and tweaks which
> will set it apart and make 11.4 feel like an upgrade to 11.3. Not that
> 2.6.36 will be a bad choice, its just not the most exciting kernel
> release.

why look for, or expect excitement in a kernel?

> Am I wrong to think that Opensuse should provide us with the latest
> releases of the Linux Kernel and KDE desktop?

“provide us”?

what do you think openSUSE is?
a giant corporation which owes you something?

so, yes you are wrong to think that “Opensuse [sic] should provide us
with the latest” of anything…

make sense??


DenverD
When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

“It seems unlikely”… it has been said since the first day that openSUSE 11.4 will come with KDE 4.6, never nobody said anything else, a KDE:Release:45 repo was created only to allow <=11.3 users to use it while KDE:Distro:Factory had KDE 4.6 beta releases for testing for 11.4… ok, now I must ask… what exactly makes it seem unlikely that 11.4 will use KDE 4.6???

allianux wrote:

> Perhaps I should be content with 11.3 and not feel the need
> to update to each new Opensuse release?

Sure - I have systems still running 10.2.

> I tend to want the latest functionality as this is what I demand for
> my work and hobbies but the opensuse project managers are content for
> it to be a time based rolling distro. Or have I missed the point of
> an FOSS OS?

You might want to read up on the latest openSUSE strategy proposals. It
looks like openSUSE will be focussing on being a workable system rather
than bleeding edge.


Per Jessen, Zürich (9.2°C)
http://en.opensuse.org/User:pjessen

what exactly makes it seem unlikely that 11.4 will use KDE 4.6???

The release date for KDE 4.6 is 26 January '11 which seems too close to Opensuse 11.4 RC1 which expected for release on 10 February. However KDE 4.6 Beta release is expected 08 December and perhaps this will be good enough for Opensuse to work with? The other reason is the use of openGL 2 in KDE 4.6 and from what I can made out from casual news reading is that not all OSS display drivers can reliably handle openGL 2? Something that I had originally not thought to be an issue…
So this is why I said it seems unlikely that KDE 4.6 will be released with opensuse 11.4.

As for the 2.6.37 kernel; I dont think Linus will appreicate any demands from me to release it any earlier :wink:

And I tend to agree that I’m guilty of having very high and possibly unfair expectations for each Opensuse release. I would think that this is mainly due to wanting more from FOSS apps rather than the distribution.

Anyway, time will tell what we get in the next release and regardless of what it is it will be another step up from the previous release.

Or wait, have I just given in to logic and reason?

What I would like to see is the option to install KDE without the semantic desktop, thereby getting rid of all the resource destroying nepomuk/akonadi/strigi guff before it gets going.

What are you people talking about?
I just installed KDE 12.3.2.
The new widgets are cluttering up my plasmasphere but I think I just got them sorted out.
The new kernel driver for my neuron interface is working great though, thanks Linus.
My hands are less tired from making that clicking motion all the time.

Where did you find kde 12.3.2? Or were you with Doctor Who

You’re suffering from the bug in the neuron interface that generates the KDE version numbers you believe you have. In fact you don’t have a computer, the neuron interface makes you think you have one.

I think that explains my mouse infestation.
Thanks.