11.3: system freezes...

Hi,

I installed OpenSuse 11.3 on a desktop intel core 2 duo 3Gz with 1Gb RAM, 150 Gb HD. Motherboard is Intel. After lets say, 3 weeks operating it worked fine, yet since last 3 days it has been crashing: system just freezes, and mouse nor keyboard work. I had to turn off/on the computer. Before that I had 11.2 and it worked just fine. What’s wrong? I don’t want to go back to Win :frowning:

SO you have a desktop system. Why not tell us even more. What kind of video card or chipset do you use? Have you loaded any proprietary video or other drivers into your system? Normally, I turn the system off, unplug it from the wall and open up the case. Make sure all cables are plugged in.

This is a VERY GOOD time to blow out all dust that can build up in your case. While any issue could be related to openSUSE, its odd it would work for a while and now it does not. Also consider that computers work just fine until they don’t. By that I mean, problems can show up at anytime and do so on their own schedule, not yours. Check all of your cables and consider this to be a good time for a computer house cleaning. Go buy some of that dust spray stuff, maybe more than one can. Take the computer outside and blast it clean of dust.

Thank You,

On 07/31/2010 11:36 AM, alquimista wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I installed OpenSuse 11.3 on a desktop intel core 2 duo 3Gz with 1Gb
> RAM, 150 Gb HD. Motherboard is Intel. After lets say, 3 weeks operating
> it worked fine, yet since last 3 days it has been crashing: system just
> freezes, and mouse nor keyboard work. I had to turn off/on the computer.
> Before that I had 11.2 and it worked just fine. What’s wrong? I don’t
> want to go back to Win :frowning:

Is it freezing or crashing? It makes a big difference. Do you have either caps
lock or numb shift lights? If so, are they blinking. That is the sign of a
crash, aka a kernel panic.

What applications were running when it froze/crashed? If a freeze, are you
allowing 2-3 minutes for the system to recover?

Will it happen if the system is left running idle? If so, switch to the log
console and let it happen. What you do depends on KDE or Gnome. If KDE,
CTRL-ALT-F10 gets the log console. Return to the desktop with CTRL-ALT-F7. For
Gnome, someone else will have to give the magic key(s). Please report any output
on the log console when the event happens.

What changed in the last 3 days? If there were updates, you can find then listed
in /var/log/zypp/history. Do any of them match software running when when the
fault happens?

You may be have a hardware problem that is new.

Unless you haven’t stumbled over some kind of log that would explain these symptoms, you should definitely check your hardware, namely the RAM and your harddisk (for starters). Try running a memtest (many live systems and I guess also the SuSE install media offer them in the GRUB-screen, just in case you can not install it via a package manager right now), let run it for a while, since several passes are needed so you can be sure the RAM is okay (= absolutely zero errors, otherwise it must be replaced). For a GB of RAM it should run for something like three or four hours at least. Then check your harddisks by using specific tools from the manufacturer of your hd or the →Hitachi Drive Fitness Test, which supports many different models and brands (not only Hitachis and Samsungs).

On 2010-07-31 18:36, alquimista wrote:

> Before that I had 11.2 and it worked just fine. What’s wrong? I don’t
> want to go back to Win :frowning:

And why not go back to 11.2, if you say it worked? I don’t understand why you say you want to go
back to Windows, not even as a joke.

On the other hand, you can (should) have more than one install on a computer, different versions.
You could have another partition with 11.2 and see if it crashes too, and thus, learn if it is a
software or a hardware problem.

If you haven’t got it, then you can try a live of 11.2.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Elessar))

There is a problem with the driver for Intel onboard chips and also with
the noveau driver for NVIDIA graphic cards … You might check of you have
one of them.

Look this:
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=615649

Thanx for all replies

About the hardware, I did not find a simple sumary; I got into an utility that provided very very detailed info. What I know is that its an Intel Motherboard with Core 2 Duo 3GHz, 1 Gb RAM, a 150 Gb HD. openSuse 11.3, KDE. Video and sound are part of the motherboard. Is necessary, let me know on how I can get the precise video specs

Now the system freezes more frequently… specially on startup. When I restart the computer… it remains ok for a while. I installed memtest and appears in the initial boot menu. When I select it, I got the error “element cannot fit in memory”, and stops…

The detailed hardware info (part of it), its:

Checksum status: valid

floppies : 0

Floppy 0 type : none
Floppy 1 type : none
HD 0 type : 0c
HD 1 type : 48
HD type 48 data: 57395/45/134 C/H/S, precomp 51839, lz 65495
HD type 49 data: 40792/44/222 C/H/S, precomp 3382, lz 63615
DOS base memory: 640 kB
Extended memory: 15360 kB (configured), 15360 kB (tested)
Gfx adapter : EGA, VGA, … (with BIOS)
FPU : installed

> cpu.1: cpuinfo
----- /proc/cpuinfo -----
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 23
model name : Intel(R) Core™2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
stepping : 10
cpu MHz : 1998.000
cache size : 6144 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 2
apicid : 0
initial apicid : 0
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 13
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 xsave lahf_lm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
bogomips : 5966.72
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor : 1
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 23
model name : Intel(R) Core™2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
stepping : 10
cpu MHz : 1998.000
cache size : 6144 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 1
cpu cores : 2
apicid : 1
initial apicid : 1
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 13
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 xsave lahf_lm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
bogomips : 5964.80
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: