11.3 on x64 not a good experience

After installing 11.3 my first problem was no Wacom support. This is a major problem for me as I’m a photographer. I saw other posts on the subject so was hopeful that someone would get on the case.

Yesterday I had a kernel update and after all the updates, I rebooted.

The splash screen appeared for a few seconds and then a black screen. No X11. No virtual ttys. I sshed in and found some updates still outstanding (why?) so I applied those and rebooted. Still got a black screen.

Sshed in again and saw messages (not errors) relating to Wacom tablet in the X11 logs. Unplugged the Wacom and rebooted. Bingo. Everything came up.

I plugged the Wacom back in, half hoping that maybe there had been updates in this area but it STILL doesn’t work.

What are the plans to get the Wacom software working again, please?

At the moment, GIMP crashes almost instantly if I try to use the Wacom tablet with it. Serious headache. I have a backlog of work that I need a working tablet for. I’ll need to switch distros if it doesn’t get fixed soon.

(Intel i7, 6 core, 12GB RAM, nVidia, Wacom Intuos 3)

The new kernel update (update to 2.6.34.4, version 3038) is a mind-numbing disaster that will send your blood pressure soaring into the stratosphere, and so far no one has any fixes for it other than to start all over and reinstall 11.3, being careful NOT to accept the kernel update. The symptoms you describe are repeated in this forum by the score, and there are hundreds more just like them scattered across the Web. Other symptoms: your bootloader will get trashed, either not appearing at all or only allowing you to boot into Windows, with all other choices removed.

I know this isn’t much help, but the only advice I have is to avoid it like the plague. Whoever is running the update database needs to remove this update and replace it with one that doesn’t completely hose formerly stable systems in a variety of unpleasant ways.

The tablet problem sounds unrelated, but given the unpredictable nature of the kernel update’s damage, there could be a connection.

It may be that your best path would be to revert to 11.2, which actually worked for the most part.

Mind numbing disaster ?

Sweeping generalisations are seldom accurate. You shouldn’t assume that your experience is typical for all. The only problem I had with the kernel update was to uninstall ndiswrapper, something I’ve never used, otherwise it went fine. There are others who found it as trouble free as I did.

Sweeping generalisations are seldom accurate?

Pretty sure that’s one also.

In general terms the update to 11.3 has been a good experience.
No new hardware has been needed.
All new versions of SW used are better.
Initial display driver problems were my own fault as reading set-up instructions carefully is not one of my virtues.
Network i/f has slowed down on 64 bit OS. 32 bit OS’s not problem.

AMD Phenom™ II X4 940, Linux 2.6.34.4-0.1-desktop x86_64, 4.5.1 (KDE 4.5.1) “release 296”

Well i’m using the same kernel as you 64 bit system without display problems.or any serious hangups.
I would suggest testing the wacom on another machine just to make sure it is working correctly. if so then it would be a driver issue on your system. :slight_smile:

later dinner is cooking and i hope not burning

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Agreed; I didn’t realize there had been any problems until seeing this
post and its response. I’m also a little skeptical about a kernel
disaster causing a boot loader problem (at least one that causes the boot
loader to not appear at all) since the boot loader comes BEFORE the kernel
in the boot process. Anyway, I imagine these are the exception more than
the rule. To the OP, it’s interesting you can SSH in without any TTYs
loading properly. While in there perhaps get the recent (since last
shutdown) output from your /var/log/messages file as well as the dmesg
output and post them here.