11.3 libafs module no symbol version for module_layout

Hi everybody!
i’m tring to set up an openafs client on an opensuse 11.3 box,but i can’t get the libafs module to load:

FATAL: Error inserting libafs (/lib/modules/2.6.34.7-0.5-desktop/kernel/fs/openafs/libafs.ko): Invalid module format

dmesg output:

4060.526827] libafs: no symbol version for module_layout

uname -a :

Linux bevy9 2.6.34.7-0.5-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2010-10-25 08:40:12 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

modinfo libafs :

filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.34.7-0.5-desktop/kernel/fs/openafs/libafs.ko
license:        http://www.openafs.org/dl/license10.html
srcversion:     FD4A99921F37629B0158BDA
depends:        
vermagic:       2.6.34.7-0.5-desktop SMP preempt mod_unload modversions 
parm:           sys_call_table_addr:Location of system call tables (array of long)
parm:           probe_carefully:Probe for system call tables carefully (int)
parm:           probe_ignore_syscalls:Syscalls to ignore in table checks (array of int)

i installed openafs-kernel-source package from https://build.opensuse.org/package/binary?arch=x86_64&filename=openafs-kernel-source-1.4.12.1-9.9.x86_64.rpm&package=openafs&project=filesystems&repository=openSUSE_11.3
and kernel-desktop-devel packages.
Can anybody give me a clue on how to sort it out?
Thanks!

Howdy,
Re your question,
Following the recommendation in
nvalid module format - libafs

I’d then recommend instead of building yourself to use the pre-built packages
OpenAFS 11.3 packages

I’m going to assume that using a package manager will properly resolve the dependency you’re having a problem with.

I hadn’t looked at OpenAFS before so took a spin through the documentation… If you’re familiar with it, am I right that it looks like it’s a cross-platform network file system, but it’s only deployable within a LAN (because it uses Kerberos authentication), by default does not implement versioning to prevent mult-user over-writes, has its own authentication system that generally does not integrate with other authentication except a somewhat rudimentary NFS “translation?”

If you are familiar enough with the technology to correct the above observations, TIA… Just getting a feel for what kind of situation OpenAFS might be deployable.

Tony

Thanks for help Tony,i figured it out.
In case anybody runs into it you need to install kernel-syms package and copy /usr/src/linux-obj/ARCH/KERNEL/Module.symvers to /usr/src/linux dir before compiling the module.