11.3 kernel-desktop update freeze

On a fresh install 11.3 gnome I am getting an update freeze on the kernel-desktop-2.6.34.7-0.5.1. This is on the initial software update after first log in on fresh system.

It downloads the package and freezes during the update and causes all my other updates to reload. I went to init 3 and ran zypper update and saw that it made it to 91% and then stopped. After that I usually get a corrupted install.

I can not seem to find a thread on this. Would some one please point me in the right direction.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Try logging in as Failsafe and rather than doing update, first try:

zypper patch

This is happening to me when I try to install on a hard drive that has another partition other then partitions the install is using. When I let the install take the whole hard drive I do not seem to have this problem however I do not want my home directory to be 500 gigabytes of linux drive.

I will wipe the hard drive again and do the install with your suggestion.

Thank you!

Yes! zypper patch in failsafe worked great.

Thank you so much. :slight_smile:

First: Failsafe may have disabled a hardware issue and it may be that Failsafe alone would enable a full Update.
Second: Patch - just does security patches and not a full Update.

To complicate matters. Post install, when you Update, it does more than that, it actually drags in a load of software. This is usually fine though. And it’s possible Failsafe would allow you to do all this.

As for the other partitions affecting your Updates. This seems most unlikely: Unless you have had some misconfiguration of where those partitions were mounted.
Obviously we would need to know the exact details of the install setup you had in order to determine possible reasons for your issue.

Possibly the OP has not allowed enough space in root to do the full update. It may have to do with the size of the partitions assigned then the number.

How would I trouble shoot the space required for root? I noticed on a back up it said I was running low on root space.

On install I took default settings which put the system on 20gigs, 2 gig swap and the home on another partition which was 80 gigs. I installed it on a free partition on the drive. The drive was divided into 107 gigs ext4 and 497gigs ntfs. I put the install on the 107 partition.

Right now root folder says used 2.6 GB with 10.9 free.

Thanks.

That looks fine
But you should do this:
Clear Temp Files at Boot

Yes I found your neat guide list and applied that one thank you. :slight_smile: I read somewhere swap partition should be 1.5 of memory so I changed to 18gig swap 30gig root and 90gig home. Still had to update from terminal though :?

Clonezilla had me back up and running quick by restoring to the new install.

Thank you sir.

18GB swap
Are you sure!

Well Ubuntu install made a 12 gig swap on an install so 6 more is not that big a deal. Reading so many guides it is sometimes hard to sift out the BS for us newbies.

2 gig swap seemed small for 6 gigs of ram. Maybe my windows background is creeping in here. I can revert back to the first install if you think it is necessary.

I would have though 4GB would be more than enough. It’s true there is BS (as you put it) on this subject.
And I don’t have a definitive answer either.

But there may be some bright spark out there that does.

I can be sure that your original 2GB swap was probably never really used and I’m certain it’s being only 2GB is/was not the source of your problem.

What I would be tempted to do, is a fresh install, no updates or whatever you think you can manage OK (eg: the zypper patch)
Let the system run a few days
Show us the output from ‘top’ and report on how things are…

Yeah I must have worked too late last night to set my swap at 16. I rofl at myself for that one. I have swap file set at 4gigs atm and will do a top in a few days. BTW I do run LAMP server on this installation for off line webwork. Not sure if that uses more swap or not.

All is well for now. Thanks!

Reasons to have huge swap:

1. You run some humungus Application data that uses a ton of memory.
  2. you want to suspend to disk (Linux uses swap to store the memory image) you need at least swap = memory + a smidge

Otherwise if you run normal desktop stuff 1-2 gig is plenty just for safty incase you do use up that 8gig of memory.

I have 2 gig and run XP in a VM and never touch swap.

Installers tend to use the 1.5X rule of thumb. But the real value is based on how you intend to use the machine.

On 2010-12-11 17:36, gogalthorp wrote:

> Installers tend to use the 1.5X rule of thumb. But the real value is
> based on how you intend to use the machine.

That’s it, there is no good rule of thumb to decide the size of swap. It
depends on what is the intended usage. As you say, you need a swap as big
as the ram if you are going to hibernate. Otherwise, if your ram is ample,
you do not need swap, but it is a safety net. If your ram is scarce, then
put as much swap as you can. I have an old system with 32 MB of ram and
perhaps a gigabyte of swap. Sure, it is slow when it swaps. It would be
even slower without - or crash.

So… depends :slight_smile:

By the way: The usage of swap does not make the system slow, that’s a
common misconception. It can be faster!⁽¹⁾ What it makes the system slow is
scarcity of ram.

(1) A system using swap can run faster because non needed things go to the
swap, freeing ram for things that need it more. This can be noticed when
you hibernate and restore: some swap remains used afterwards, because those
things are not needed any more. Programs initializations and such stuff.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)