11.3 Intel blank screen at boot

I’m using onboard video ATI hd 4200. Using xorg.conf.install worked, installing and using proprietary drivers from ati also worked for me.

This problem is an intel i915 driver problem and has been discussed at length in the pre-release forum Intel GPU 8xx issues, will 11.3 have them too?! is one of the threads the problem has been reported to opensuse bugzilla and upstream also.

Those with the i915 may find this snippet of interest: Re: [opensuse-factory] i915.modeset=0 worked with a 2.6.34-RC3 kernel, b

I forgot to mention, in particular in that bug report for some users, note this:

Found a workaround. For those looking for an answer:

In /boot/grub/menu.lst add nomodeset to the kernel line(s) you boot with.

in my case:
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.34-12-desktop root=/dev/sda5 resume=/dev/sda1
splash=silent showopts vga=0x31a nomodeset

And in /etc/X11/xorg.conf change the Driver line in the device section from:

Driver “intel”

to

Driver “intellegacy”
This means users of course require the rpm xorg-x11-driver-video-intel-legacy installed. This does not work for my i855GM hardware, but it may work for some users whose PC’s intel hardware uses the i915 driver.

Hi Everyone,

I have much of the same problem. :frowning: Intel DG41RQ motherboard, NVidia 8400GS display card, Dual Core 2.5. The install works 100% but after first reboot, screen goes blank. Failsafe works!

:frowning:

Try the nomodeset solutions noted in the threads above. There seems to be a problem with some Intel onboard graphics.