11.3 /dev/sda missing in PARTITIONS...

Hello al,

I have an acer travelmate 632 running 11.3.

The grandkids have been playing playing frozen bubble in fullscreen mode but the “full screen” was actually only the central part of the monitor.

Yesterday, there were a bunch of updates. Today, the kids again played frozen bubble but this time, the “full screen” was really the full screen, not the sub-window. After exiting the game, a window popped up telling me that a monitor had been disconnected and would I like to reconfigure. I said yes.

After reboot, the graphical login failed saying that a serious error had been encountered and that I should consult the KDM logs. I went to console mode but was unable to log in. Neither as root or as the regular user. Both fail with “Login incorrect”. In fact, the only way in now is via single-user mode.

Looking through the /var/log/messages, I see a curious set of mesages complaining the, for instance, “/dev/sda4 is not in PARTITIONS” note the upper-case. I then see that, despite what “mount” tells me, ?home (sda4) and /boot (sda1) are not mounted. That is, I cannot list their contents. If I manually mount those partitions, I can list their contents.

Any clue as to what is happening?

Cheers

Hello al,

I have an acer travelmate 632 running 11.3.

The grandkids have been playing playing frozen bubble in fullscreen mode but the “full screen” was actually only the central part of the monitor.

Yesterday, there were a bunch of updates. Today, the kids again played frozen bubble but this time, the “full screen” was really the full screen, not the sub-window. After exiting the game, a window popped up telling me that a monitor had been disconnected and would I like to reconfigure. I said yes.

After reboot, the graphical login failed saying that a serious error had been encountered and that I should consult the KDM logs. I went to console mode but was unable to log in. Neither as root or as the regular user. Both fail with “Login incorrect”. In fact, the only way in now is via single-user mode.

Looking through the /var/log/messages, I see a curious set of mesages complaining the, for instance, “/dev/sda4 is not in PARTITIONS” note the upper-case. I then see that, despite what “mount” tells me, ?home (sda4) and /boot (sda1) are not mounted. That is, I cannot list their contents. If I manually mount those partitions, I can list their contents.

Any clue as to what is happening?

Cheers

antttikutoja, I wonder if your disk might not have taken a hit of some kind? One that could be fixed by another bootable disk like Partition Magic? Here is a link for a ISO one you can make into a bootable disk:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/pmagic-4.5.iso

I would make the disk, boot from it and use it to attempt to fix each partition. I hope that it is not something fatal. Consider that disks just work great until they stop. It does not need to be anything that someone has done. Not you and not the kids. Disks fail at a time of their own choosing. If you are able to fix the disks without reloading, consider this a warning as to it might be time to buy a new hard disk. I have had strange things like this occur before. Of course power failures can do it and bad power supplies as I have had these happen too. I just decided to buy a UPS and keep two hard disks in my computer. Surely only one would die at a time I hope. Perhaps you will be lucky and Partition Magic is just the ticket out of this mess?

Thank You,

James,

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Earlier today, I decided to fsck each partition in turn. sda3 (root partition, /) exploded with errors! Many things apparently owning the same inode etc. I asked fsck to fix all the problems and a subsequent fsck reported a clean system. However, the problem persists.

I will download your suggestion and try it out. If that doesn’t help, I will have to download a new installer dvd. At least I can get the box running again, hopefully, but will have to wait until I get back to base to re-install all the extras.

Thanks for the input and cheers. Will keep you posted.

Kind Regards - AK

James,

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Earlier today, I decided to fsck each partition in turn. sda3 (root partition, /) exploded with errors! Many things apparently owning the same inode etc. I asked fsck to fix all the problems and a subsequent fsck reported a clean system. However, the problem persists.

I will download your suggestion and try it out. If that doesn’t help, I will have to download a new installer dvd. At least I can get the box running again, hopefully, but will have to wait until I get back to base to re-install all the extras.

Thanks for the input and cheers. Will keep you posted.

Kind Regards - AK

fsck will fix the structure but you can still lose data. If you look in lost&found you will probably see lots of files directories and fragments. This is the stuff that fsck did not know what to do with. In theory at lest you can piece it all back together but for binary data that can be some what tedious. Since some of the files may be whole you can recover them they just need their names/locations fixed. But for programs and such it is near impossible to recover from fragments. For root it is best to just reinstall. Note that such a serious problem may indicate a disk going bad so you should run smart and maybe a low lever program from the disk maker to test the disk before relying on it for important data,