11.3 breaks Samsumg color laser muti-function

1. ok
  2. ok
  3. my understanding here: if you are logged on as a normal user you will not be able to write to these files, hence not be able to print.
  4. ok
  5. my understanding here: the files reference in directory /etc/X11/ should not be there. Have you tried uninstalling the Samsung Control Center, deleting those file and then re-installing.

Note: I’m accessing a CLX-2160N via the network on two machines.
On a 64bit machine: printing was achieved via the Samsung Control Center s/w.
On a 32bit machine: the Samsung Control Center would not install correctly so a direct install via cups was done after copying the appropriate Samsung files from the directory …/cdroot/Linux/ to the intended cups directories.
But this was only possible after removing all printer drivers previously installed on the 11.2 OS.
In both cases the original cups 11.3 install was not disturbed.

Sorry in case of misunderstanding …

1. Delete only the files /etc/X11/samsungrc and /etc/X11/.samsungrc.lock !!!

I uninstalled everything, updated CUPS, removed anything in etc/X11 and copied the relevant files in 3 from a back-up. I still couldn’t print. I logged into a root session and tried to print from there to make sure it wasn’t a permission issue. Still no luck.

Hi,

Sorry but I am now more baffled than you are.

Perhaps its better to wait a few days for the new kernel to be put in the repository and then try again after updating.

Don’t give up.

Thanks for all your help. It is quite baffling. The only other thing I thought to try is to copy the installation from my other computer that is still running 11.2. I think, though, I’ll wait for the kernel.

Hi,

Can you print yet?

If not and you have lots of time try the following,
this is to ensure that the network interface is not disturbed with any remnants from the 11.2 installation.

1. remove all printers from and also the ‘samsung control centre’, then reboot
  2. in yast - network services - host names, rename 127.0.0.2 ‘Hostname’ and ‘Host Aliases’, then reboot
  3. in yast - network devices -network settings,
    ----- in Global Options, select - ‘Traditional Method with ifup’
    ----- in Routing, setup your Default IPv4 / 6 Gateway then save with OK, then reboot
  4. if you prefer to use NetworkManager then
    ----- in yast - network devices -network settings,
    ----- in Global Options, select - ‘User Controlled with NetworkManager’, then reboot
  5. in a terminal see if you can ping your printer, if yes,
  6. go to directory …/Samsung/cdroot/ (extracted from UnifiedLinuxDriver_1.00.tar.gz)
    ----- and run command ‘sudo sh autorun’,
    ----- when asked copy the exact details of your printer from the list given and hit return, if it finishes successfully, then reboot
  7. go to directory /etc/cups/
    ----- and run command ‘sudo vim printers.conf’
    ----- scan down to line 9 / ‘DeviceURI’ and replace whatever is there with the address of your printer,
    ----- ‘ipp://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX’ without the quotes or lagging 0’s, mine read ‘DeviceURI mfp:/dev/mfp4’,
    ----- the line should then read ‘DeviceURI ipp://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX’ without quotes, then save and exit vim, then reboot.

Can you print now?

Hi - it’s the scx4200 owner again. By now, I’ve encountered the infamous Unified Driver failure too - on Kubuntu 10.04 (some persistent “mfp failed” message). However, I got the printer to work by adding it in CUPS with the non-proprietary splix drivers. The scanner seems to be plug-and-play anyway.
I realise this might only work for very basic Samsung models (no colour, duplex or networking - see post #1 in the Ubuntu forums thread you linked above) and not apply to your problem, but did you try using a different driver?

I ended up going back to 11.2 where everything works fine. It was never a network issue as I was always able to ping the printer and was able to use the scanner. It was clearly an issue with rastertosamsungplc which always returned an error. I did try going the splix driver route, but there is no splix driver for my printer (wish there were…).

They are still working on the problem on the ubuntu samsung printer forum where they have isolated the problem to glibc 2.11 and, I think but am not certain, amd 64 bit processors.

Sorry to hear you are back with 11.2.

11.3 is better all round.

Never had any problem with the amd 64 bit processor, AMD Phenom™ II X4 940 Processor!

Problems I’ve had are on intel (clean install of 11.3) and amd (upgrade over 11.2) 32 bit processors.

The Samsung Control Center was always a pain in the butt to get working except on 11.2

The only program that was a problem was the Samsung printer driver. In fact, I’ve always found amd to work better than intel with various distros. I really did like 11.3. Maybe someone will get the Samsung problem fixed.

Have a look at this (I found it by accident on ubuntuforums):
HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver - Ubuntu Forums
Samsung seem to have given up supporting linux ptinting on their website, so th drivers are no longer available.
The repo is for debian, but using one of the deb linux tools, you should be able to convert the .deb file to either a .gx or rpm and install it.

Hope this helps.

(I run sled 11 on my main workstation that has the samsung scx-4200, so haven’t had to reinstall their drivers yet. so can’t comment whether it still works in 11.3.)

@ keellambert
Just looked at the samsung.de link you gave and it seems like Samsung have stopped giving linux drivers on their
German site as well.
My advice when buying a printer is to either choose something simple, or one from a manufacturer with linux support!

You did not specify the Samsung printer you are using?

I would never try scanning over a networked mfprinter, due to security concerns, when its connect to the internet.

At 13:17 (CET) 16-Aug-2010 the following two links were still available for downloading the unified driver.

http://www.samsung.de/de/support/detail.aspx?aguid=5ed78239-6c1c-49dc-96ce-df41889828eb&dl=driver

http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=DE&CttFileID=2044623&CDCttType=DR&ModelType=N&ModelName=CLX-2160N&VPath=DR/201002/20100226141933406/UnifiedLinuxDriver_1.00.tar.gz

Samsung are a good supplier and still support Linux.

At 13:17 (CET) 16-Aug-2010 the following two links were still available for downloading the unified driver.

http://www.samsung.de/de/support/detail.aspx?aguid=5ed78239-6c1c-49dc-96ce-df41889828eb&dl=driver

http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=DE&CttFileID=2044623&CDCttType=DR&ModelType=N&ModelName=CLX-2160N&VPath=DR/201002/20100226141933406/UnifiedLinuxDriver_1.00.tar.gz

Samsung are a good supplier and still support Linux.

The driver is still available, but it is the one that does not work with 11.3. I have heard on the Ubuntu forum that they have no plans to update it and will not support it in the future. I hope that is wrong.

I can only comment on what I have and that is the ‘Samsung Control Centre’ on openSuSE-11.3 works on my 64 bit machine without any adjustments but a re-install was necessary.

On two 32 bit machines I have tried, it does not install correctly but does work after simple manual adjustments as already outlined.

My problem is not with the control center per-se. That installs just fine. Nor is it with scanning which works perfectly. It is with printing and in particular the rastertosamsungsplc filter exiting with an error code and returning an empty print file. Here is the statement of what I gather to be the problem from the Ubuntu forum:

To everyone who has reported problems with Ubuntu 10.04 and AMD64 systems:

The problem is definitely a conflict with the new (2.11) eglibc. As this is a rather essential core library, work-arounds for this are not going to be easy. If you are having trouble printing or scanning and need a working printer/scanner in the near future, your best bet is to switch to a earlier version of the library (Debian Stable, Ubuntu 9.10 or earlier) or switch to a 32-bit install (which seems to be working). You MIGHT also have success using a virtual machine (VMWare, Virtualbox) to install a 32-bit version of Ubuntu 10.04 and use that for your printing/scanning needs, but I’ve not tested this.
And the possible route to a solution:

My basic idea is to somehow force the Samsung driver to use a 32-bit libc while not disrupting everything else on the computer, but doing so without being able to recompile is non-trivial.

Thanks for the links.
I use sled11 on my main workstation with the samsung scx-4200 attached. so never had to re-install the drivers.
I decided to try a live ubuntu 10 and found the scx-4200 is now atodetected and works for both printing and scanning in ubuntu.
This explains why the linux drivers have been removed from the Samsung website.

To those of you with problems:
Either wait till the drivers are incorporated into the linux prining or
Get a printer from a manufacturer that supports linux or opensource printing/scanning. (Like in this post: Printer Samsung CLP-310)

It’s taken nearly 2 years for the scx-4200 to be incorporated into open printing.
The reason I bought the printer was because it stated linux support on the box. When the drivers didn’t work on openSUSE 11, I complained to Samsung UK. Their line was that they don’t support linux and I would have to take up the false advertising claim for linux support with the people I bought the printer from!
Samsung, like most manufacturers who don’t support linux will only do so if enough users complain and demand refunds for false advertising on the packaging.

Thanks for the links.
I use sled11 on my main workstation with the samsung scx-4200 attached. so never had to re-install the drivers.
I decided to try a live ubuntu 10 and found the scx-4200 is now atodetected and works for both printing and scanning in ubuntu.
This explains why the linux drivers have been removed from the Samsung website.

To those of you with problems:
Either wait till the drivers are incorporated into the linux prining or
Get a printer from a manufacturer that supports linux or opensource printing/scanning. (Like in this post: Printer Samsung CLP-310)

It’s taken nearly 2 years for the scx-4200 to be incorporated into open printing.
The reason I bought the printer was because it stated linux support on the box. When the drivers didn’t work on openSUSE 11, I complained to Samsung UK. Their line was that they don’t support linux and I would have to take up the false advertising claim for linux support with the people I bought the printer from!
Samsung, like most manufacturers who don’t support linux will only do so if enough users complain and demand refunds for false advertising on the packaging.