11.2 stable but really its beta right?

hello everyone, ive been attempting to install 11.2 for a few days now, no network able to resolve internal names but none externally except through IP, finally got it installed and working, after several attempts, until a type during the ispconfig install and now im trying again…

reason for the post is this… i had 10.3 installed since it came out, until a few days ago, 10.3 worked from day one, no problems! first attempt on the box it worked after config, everything, apache, DNS, ftp, ssh, samba, mouse, niks, sound blah, blah, blah… right… well not so for 11.2, its been a nightmare…

all the same hardware… mouse didnt work had to put a usb even after changing to serial, niks got reversed, dns non functional… just to name a few…
no way to tell it leave partitions as is, keeps attempting to suggest, sheesh…

so what gives, why put out something thats got more issues than earlier versions… yeah im just letting off some steam, kinda frustrated, im looking at the screen right now, fsck failed at least one file system, works fine one install attempt not the other, hardware is fine… everything the same the next attempt goes haywire…

i thank my lucky stars when i was installing novell on production servers these thing didnt happen, or i woulda regretted the effort put into the novell CNE/CNA certs…

make it a usable release or keep it beta…
for petes sake… sheesh… asta…

NNTP users: move to General-Chit-Chat

For now I’m moving this to General-Chit-Chat, since it does not contain any request for help.

I have installed on over 20 different computers, all with different hardware, every single installation has gone perfectly. The fastest and most stable release I have ever used.

Ok, now a reply: did you check the downloaded iso, check the burnt media? Seen this as a result of corrupted install media, a couple of times. I’ve performed dozens of 11.2 installs, never met the load of failures you describe.

according to the media check: no errors found…

How did you install? A clean install, reusing /home (and others) ? Or upgrade 10.3 ? Reuse configs from /etc ?

In the partitioner there’s an option to import the partitioning from disk, incl. ‘old’ mountpoints.

Sorry to read of your difficulty. Please post with specific details on our relevant sub forums ( Install/Boot/Login - openSUSE Forums may be a good place to start ) of any issues that you have not sorted yet, and I suspect many volunteers will jump in to help.

We are a support forum of volunteers. Not a developer/packager forum of openSUSE. Still, if you ask for help, with an appropropriate title in your post, focussed on specific problems, then those who know those technical areas best are likely to dive in and try help you.

Good luck !

welp, after several days of bewilderment, a bunch of failed installs with all kinds of weirdo problems, with one i think successful install that a typo hosed not sure now… instead of fixing i just scrapped the whole thing and started again, and ran into more issues so i signed up to ***** and moan, i finally got it done…

im no *nix guru by any means, no sir…
ive configured a few boxes over the years, both personal and production servers… was bitten by the computer bug 30+ years ago and been at it ever since… the vic 20 was pretty cool so was the amiga… anyways…

saw the import it was to late by then, i didnt upgrade from 10.3, saw the howto:, also read there were some issues, so i decided for a clean install…

after i posted the original msg, i tried again, got a rpm kernel corrupt, after checking the DVD, and it was fine cause i used the same disc… 6 /dev’s/, raid1 /, raid1 swap, scsi raid 5 data… all software raid.

this box was recently cleaned couple of days ago, dusty still coughing, not as bad as the old IBM with the 10meg full height rll drive though coughed for a month after breathing in that dust… right after wards i poped in the disc to redo the system, and been at it since…

i opened it back up, took an eraser to the connectors, reseated everything, checked all cables looks like maybe that did the trick, its an old micron server. =0]

the serial mouse still dont work… =o

I’d replace the serial mouse through a cheap optical one. Bet that works.

I still don’t get, whether you got 11.2 running to your satisfaction now. Like oldcpu wrote, post about the problems one by one, in the appropriate subforum, with clear request for the help needed. The openSUSE community is very active, forum members usually get quick responses to their questions.

And…enjoy and have fun.

hello everyone, thanks for allowing me to moan and groan im happy!! even my mouse works in text mode ( gpm)… doh… open mouth frustration will make one do and say stupid things…

i still have a bunch of config to do and if i run into a problem i cant get around ( which is entirely likely ), ill post a help request…