11.1 RC1 bugs

11.1 RC1 has several bugs:

The 11.1 RC1 media installs the PAE kernel versus default. Note that the target machine is an AMD chip set, and cannot take advantage of Intel’s Physical Address Extension (PAE) instructions. (Work around: go to software management in YaST, de-select the PAE kernel packages and install the default kernel settings. Or, do nothing.)

The interaction between “KNetworkManager” and “YaST → Network Devices → Network Settings” is faulty. The default installation sets the global option in “Network Settings” to “Traditional Method with ifup”. This causes KNetworkManager to not run. However, the browsers are able to access the Internet. If the global option in “Network Settings” is set to “User Controlled with NetworkManager”, KNetworkManager starts running. The icon looks like its connected to the Internet, but Konqueror or other browsers cannot access the Internet. Returning to “Network Settings” the program gives the following warning: “Network is currently controlled by NetworkManager and its settings cannot be edited by YaST. …” (Note that this message is new to 11.1. In 11.0 the global setting in “Network Setttings” could be set to “User Controlled with NetworkManager” and no warning is issued.) Setting the global option in “Network Settings” back to “Traditional Method with ifup” stops KNetworkManager, the icon goes to unconnected cable, however the browsers can once again access the Internet. (Work around: described)

YaST Software Management crashes after installing software instead of displaying a window asking if you want to install more packages. (Work around: connect to “Software Management” again, and again, and again …)

Bluetooh Wizard crashes when clicking on the button “Add new devices”. (Work around: none)

HP Device manager (2.8.10) does not have functions to operate the scanner. The program always starts with a communication error to the printer. Also, when installing this package YaST did not request the package xsane. (Note: this package worked admirably in 11.0.) HP Device manager (2.8.7) also doesn’t recognize the scanner, however it starts without a communication error to the printer. (Work around: none)

Additional YaST Package Repositories - openSUSE claims there is a repository at http://madwifi-project/suse/11.1. This is not the case. (Hopefully there will be one soon.)

The following may have been problems in 11.0:

Kmail: selecting “beep” for new mail notification actually selects the chord chime.

Kmail composer is inconsistent about automatically filling in the “to” line with the recipient name. Sometimes you have to take the extra step of pressing the select button.

When sending an email, Kmail requests Kwallet access for almost every new email. (I can’t come up with an exact set of conditions for making this occur, or not occur.)

After using Settings for Kmail or Kontact, the kmail program overrides the existing sort setting and sorts the mail by sender name.

Commentary:
I hope we aren’t going backwards with the 11.1 release. There appear to be a number of features that worked just fine in the past, have been modified for no apparent reason, and now don’t work. I may need to re-install 10.3 for a more stable, trouble-free environment.

If you are sure they are bugs post them here

@Parthenolide

A few comments about your post are in order:

The 11.1 RC1 media installs the PAE kernel versus default. Note that the target machine is an AMD chip set, and cannot take advantage of Intel’s Physical Address Extension (PAE) instructions.

Some AMD Athlon processors support PAE. I believe that openSUSE only installs the PAE kernel if it detects a processor that supports it.

The interaction between “KNetworkManager” and “YaST → Network Devices → Network Settings” is faulty.

With 11.0 you could select ifup or NetworkManager to configure your network settings. This is no longer the case with 11.1. Now if you select NM in YaST you will get the error message. YaST now only supports ifup. NetworkManager is handled by it’s own applet. There are many bugs in NetworkManager-KDE4 right now but they’re working on it.

YaST Software Management crashes after installing software instead of displaying a window asking if you want to install more packages.

It doesn’t crash, it quits. I read in bugzilla the developers have decided this is how they want it to work. Developers and end users don’t always agree on functionality.

I liked the way it asked if I wanted to install more packages myself.

I hope they fix this soon. It,s making me crazy. Network manager seemed to have worked once, but stopped after a couple of reboots. I could connect to the network but not the internet.

Pinging local ip’s worked but not domains like google.com. Switching to ifup allowed me set the gateway (my router) and I got the internet back. Switching back to networkmanager killed the internet connection for me. So, it’s back to ifup.

I fixed up the hplip problem on my RC1 VirtualBox install. In the old days we needed to have ourselves (current user) in the lp group. For a while hplip worked without needing this.

I went into YaST Users and Groups, clicked on my user, added myself (put a check in the box next to lp) applied and logged out and in.

Wallah! Hplip works perfect again.

Weird that KDE printing management, Firefox printing, etc, did not need this. Only hplip’s gui did.

I also needed to switch YaST to traditional ifup/down to get access to the net. I think I read that a workaround is to install Gnomes nm-manager (something like that). It says it works fine in KDE too. But since I don’t have wireless and only use the ethernet card the traditional thing is fine for me.

This was the default behavior in 11.0, as well. The PAE kernel also enables things like address execution protection, and other features beyond accessing >4GB. The majority of modern processors benefit from this, whether Intel or AMD.

Plus, as pointed above, AMD processors will support the PAE extensions.

It was decided by the devs that enabling PAE offered benefits without any significant detrimental impact, but as you pointed out, the non-PAE kernel is still available. It will be installed in instances where the processor cannot support the PAE kernel.

Just my 2c…

Cheers,
KV

else where wrote:

>
> Parthenolide;1905918 Wrote:
>>
>> The 11.1 RC1 media installs the PAE kernel versus default. Note that
>> the target machine is an AMD chip set, and cannot take advantage of
>> Intel’s Physical Address Extension (PAE) instructions. (Work around: go
>> to software management in YaST, de-select the PAE kernel packages and
>> install the default kernel settings. Or, do nothing.)
>>
>
> This was the default behavior in 11.0, as well. The PAE kernel also
> enables things like address execution protection, and other features
> beyond accessing >4GB. The majority of modern processors benefit from
> this, whether Intel or AMD.
Do you have to have more than 4GB installed before it installs the PAE kernel? I have a 4GB system thats expandable to 8GB. It installed the default kernel on 11.0. Processor is Intel core 2 dual, E7200 2.53GB.

> Just my 2c…
>
> Cheers,
> KV
Thanks for any answers.

I also had to go with ifup to get network/internet up and functional, disabled ipv6 in addition which really surprised me.

I’ll put my vote in as “nay” for the yast2 software management shutdown/close after install. I like to update or install one thing at at a time to verify that it works as I expect before proceeding, ie, update codecs before updating kaffiene or amarok. Similar situation would be update core system files before updating kde4. It’s a small way of reducing confusion if something goes fubar. My 2cents.

Sound issues here also that I’ve yet to resolve related to pulseaudio and the primary reason that I wished to upgrade, the dazuko/redirfs modification to enable on-access virus scanning, seems to choke and lockup the system, though it will co-exist with AppArmor now.

The 32 bit version of openSUSE installs the PAE kernel by default if your system supports it. Also when you have less than 4GB of RAM (you may add more later).

kernel pae…what’s new? - openSUSE Forums

You most likely installed the 64 bit version of openSUSE, this does not need PAE to address over 4GB, it can do so by default.

Hi,

could you be please more specific about your problem with dazuko/redirfs? As you wrote you are experiencing some lookup or performance problems. Is this situation reproducable? Any logs or oops would really help. thanx

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Some comments:
HPLIP:
davheed3 was correct about HPLIP
HPILP works after enabling LP in YaST → Security and Users → User and Group Management, edit user, select details, select lp checkbox, click ok, click ok again, logout, login.

PAE:
Upscope requested the configuration:
2GB ram, AMD Athlon XP 2400+

mineral2511 indicated that PAE is intentionally installed, even on machines with less than 4GB. Interesting. BTW, the RC1 media indicates its for i586, and not 64 bit.

NetworkManager:
pilotgi and others indicated that “…they’re working on it”. Good.

KBluetoothWizard:
Is anyone else having problems with it?

Again, thanks to everyone for your help.

The bluetooth issue may have to do with the package btusb. Btusb is not included in any of the following packages:

Index of /update/11.1
Index of /debug/distribution/11.1-RC1/repo/oss
Index of /distribution/11.1-RC1/repo/non-oss
Index of /distribution/11.1-RC1/repo/oss

Somehow I get really bad audio using the included amarok-kde3 and yuap/gstreamer … I get good sound but skippin when using amarok-kde3 using the xine engine and pulseaudio and I get perfect sound when using amarok-kde3 with option ‘alsa’…

It’s kind of ironic seeing that pulseaudio is heralded as the savior of Linux audio…

I think there are performance aspects of Pulse that still need optmisation.

I recently installed Fedora-10, as I was curious as to how it would stack up against openSUSE-11.1. I found serious audio performance problems with Fedora-Gnome using smplayer. I need to run “top” to see what is happening, but when playing back a .mpg video file (music video) Fedora video play back was jagged, and the audio had jumps/glitches. I was doing NOTHING else on Fedora-10 at the time. On the other hand, with openSUSE-11.1 RC1 on KDE-3.5.10 (and beagle removed) I can play back on smplayer the same video, be downloading at 1.6MB/sec via bittorent (and uploading at 100KB/sec), backing up at max speed over our home LAN, and have xchat running, and see NO performance hit on openSUSE-11.1RC1 (under KDE-3.5.10).

Clearly Fedora (with Gnome) needs some sort of tuning out of the box to play an mpeg properly, and that was a major surprise to me. I suspect the Fedora pulse audio implementation is the big offender here, …not sure if this is Gnome specific, or if it is Fedora specific.

I think this supports your pulse audio view. … Hopefully this is just teething pain, and hopefully the performance aspects of pulse will be improved with time.

“I think this supports your pulse audio view. … Hopefully this is just teething pain, and hopefully the performance aspects of pulse will be improved with time.”

I hope so too. But well, it’s still very new so we’ll see in 6-12 months.