11.1 and Vista SP2

My laptop is dual booted with the above, if i had my way it would be all Suse but the Mrs needs M$ for work…

Anyhow, problem is, vista SP2 is available but will not install

M$ quote this on there web page

When you install Vista SP2, the Vista SP2 installer must update the system boot files. If third-party disk management tools are used to “clone” disks or partitions, the SP2 installer will be unable to uniquely identify the correct system boot files.

Anyone know of a workaround,i just have grub with suse on a seperate partition Cheers Mal

Stupid M$ !!!
You have 2 options:
(1) Let Vista messes up you boot area and you can use the openSUSE recover CD to put back GRUB there. (Bit technical)
(2) Install Vista in a VirtualBox. (You can throw it away any time :wink: Also, you can take snapshots and back it up on some external media. This will be a huge help to your wife because she can always fall back to a running version of Vista.)

You have to restore the vista boot code and make sure the boot flag is on the vista partition.
Your system will now boot vista seemingly as if no suse install exists. Allow sp2 to run then restore grub with the suse dvd.
What pain, but I wouldn’t expect anything less from the ‘Evil Empire’

Cheers Fellas, 1 snag i only have my ASUS OEM disc, so i cant restore the MBR with fixmbr or bootfec, any ideas

This should do it
Windows Vista Recovery Disc Download — The NeoSmart Files

Cheers caf for the link,

might get it sorted about 3 weeks next thursday with the 2k torrent download speed:(

Why so slow, are there no peers seeding. Does you torrent client work ok on other torrents?

I downloaded that torrent 3 hours ago, just after caf4926 posted the link, and it took 4 minutes 32sec, to download 120 MB. If you have problems it must be some torrent settings or firewall. I am seeding it right now and there are plenty of other seeders.

BTW thanks a bunch caf4926 for that link, i did not know about that CD and can be really really precious! :slight_smile:

using utorrent, downloading at 3 k, i have 8Meg bb connection, never used torrents before,

i did dl it under suse using kget it only took a few mins, however k3b would not burn the iso so i tried utorrent under windows

Try the ktorrent under KDE. You should get much better speed than 3k!!

A Quick Bittorrent Guide (with screenshots) - openSUSE Forums

Eventually dl the vista recovery disc, however when i run the fix " start up " option it does not find any errors and grub still excists, i cant find any fixmbr or bootfec commands either,

have you read here carefully:
Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

tried that, i aint got the bootrec exe files on the disc

Are you sure?

And are you sure about your OEM supplied dvd. That it can’t do the job.

Make sure you are cd’ing to the cd drive

then use:

dir

to show the directory list

Hardware: Compaq Presario 756NR

I downloaded this CD and got it to restore the Vista bootloader
on the MBR without any problem. Earlier, I had tried to restore
the MBR using EasyBCD without any luck. Then I installed both
SP1 and SP2 without any problem. Previously, with GRUB on the MBR,
it would flame out during stage 3 and revert back to the original
state.

Afterwards, I restored GRUB on the MBR using Knoppix live CD.

I just want to correct something I wrote above.
EasyBCD does work. Launch EasyBCD, then
select “Manage Bootloader” -> “Reinstall the Vista bootloader”. Apparently, “Diagnostics Center” -> “Recreate missing” is the wrong option in this case.

Finally sorted out SP2, vista all sorted , now i cant restore Grub, i tried a rescue using my Suse dvd, now on the boot list i only have suse and failsafe, how do i add vista?

Cheers Mal

Open a terminal and do:

cat /etc/fstab

post result

Now go su in the terminal and do:

cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

linux-87xx:~ # cat /etc/fstab
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9160821AS_5MA8KQE5-part5 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9160821AS_5MA8KQE5-part6 / ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 1
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9160821AS_5MA8KQE5-part7 /home ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9160821AS_5MA8KQE5-part1 /windows/C ntfs-3g users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_GB.UTF-8 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs noauto 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
linux-87xx:~ #
linux-87xx:~ #
linux-87xx:~ # cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Wed Jun 17 14:44:28 BST 2009

default 0
timeout 8
gfxmenu (hd0,5)/boot/message
##YaST - activate

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title SUSE LINUX
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9160821AS_5MA8KQE5-part6 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9160821AS_5MA8KQE5-part5 splash=silent showopts
initrd /boot/initrd

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
title Failsafe – SUSE LINUX
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9160821AS_5MA8KQE5-part6 showopts ide=nodma apm=off noresume nosmp maxcpus=0 edd=off powersaved=off nohz=off highres=off processor.max_cstate=1 x11failsafe
initrd /boot/initrd

Sorry, how do you put the “box” around the text so it stands out