1080p instead of 1080i

Hi, I am new to the forums so i’ll start with a simple question :stuck_out_tongue: I am running opensuse 12.1 x64 w/ KDE4.7 using a nvidia gts250 with a toshiba 1080p 42" display. My display shows on my screen as 1080i. I am wondering if i can get this to change to 1080p and how. Just wanting to take full advantage of my hardware capabilities :slight_smile: Thank you!

Hi gimmemabrewski. Welcome to the forums. That is a good question. (I haven’t been in a position to experiment with this myself). Xorg usually detects available resolutions from the EDID supplied by the connected display device, and this is reported in human-readable format within /var/log/Xorg.0.log by the X-server, should you wish to examine it. If required, modelines can be added to Xorg configuration files, located in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory.

I assume you’re using the proprietary nvidia driver? If so, does the nvidia-settings utility dsiaply alternative display modes available for your 42" display?

This may be useful
NVIDIA Component Out - MythTV
Have a read of these threads too (as they may give you the basic idea)
Enabling 1080p video on the Shuttle X27D HTPC | tolaris.com
DP42848 1080p Modeline for xorg.conf

So I would ask just what video driver you are using? Its possible the default will not do 1080p but I also wonder if the desktop (as opposed to a video or something else) makes any difference? For a long time, the only 1080p content came from HD-DVD and Blu-ray DVD’s and you would not expect to see 1080p from any other source at present. On my HTPC, I can’t find anything that tells me 1080p or 1080i and its native resolution is lower though I can set it at 1920x1080. So, I can’t figure it out from anything I have at home. I do suggest you install the nVIDIA driver and I have found good results running the HDTV in its native resolution, but otherwise, I can’t help directly getting to 1080p. The only time it could really matter is viewing movies and just what you get must depend on the actual video and the video player you are using.

So I would make sure my multimedia was setup per this: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/how-faq-forums/new-user-how-faq-read-only/407184-multi-media-restricted-format-installation-guide.html

You can check your media setup with this: MMCHECK - Version 2.41 - Check Your Multimedia in 16 Steps - Bash Script File - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

You can install the nVIDIA driver the hard way per this: Installing the nVIDIA Video Driver the Hard Way - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

I suggest you get you a good resent DVD release, play it in Kaffeine or VLC and see what you TV’s says then.

Thank You,