Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Panel has two bluetooth applets neither shows in >panel >prefs >items??

  1. #1

    Default Panel has two bluetooth applets neither shows in >panel >prefs >items??

    Minor issue with my Leap 15.5 XFCE install on MacPro '12 which was installed as 15.4 and upgraded to .5 . . . possibly after last weeks upgrades it now shows two BT applets in the panel . . . but when I look in the Panel Prefs to try to delete one, neither are showing??

    Historically there has been this "double applet" thing showing in ye olde ubuntu installs . . . can't remember if it was an XFCE thing . . . and I can't remember how it was fixed??

    I don't really use BT, but I only need one applet . . . one of them shows more options in the drop down menu from right click than the other, but neither one shows a "remove from panel" option . . . .

    Just reporting on issues with 15.5 as they appear . . . .
    Last edited by malcolmlewis; 14-Nov-2022 at 09:33. Reason: Add new prefix, fix thread title

  2. #2

    Default Re: Panel has two bluetooth applets neither shows in >panel >prefs >items??

    Further issues with Leap 15.5 this morning . . . running 184 packages via console app . . . GUI "froze" so that I couldn't use the browser while the upgrades were running, and that process was also very slow. Mouse was operational. I was about to cancel out of the upgrade, when the last 10 or 15 packages went through. Followed by another long episode with "grub2" before the cursor returned. But, I couldn't get the Terminal app to "come up" to run further commands, so I logged into TTY1 . . . .

    In the TTY I ran "sudo update-bootloader" . . . also very slow and then shutdown. On cold boot Leap is first up in grub and several minutes went by with the black "Leap" screen and the spiral "activity" wheel . . . did not get to log in screen. I shut it down again. Second cold boot everything went quickly and now back in Leap GUI to type this out . . . .

    Not sure if this is the "aging cpu" that is intermittently causing a slow down . . . or something in the Leap upgrade that was messing around with the GUI. There was a new kernel listed in the packages . . . .

  3. #3

    Default Re: Panel has two bluetooth applets neither shows in >panel >prefs >items??

    Hi

    Please don't mix up your post.
    Regarding your post#1, The full featured applet is "blueman" I am not sure about the second applet
    i
    t might be gnome bluetooth.
    Have a look in the session and startup in xfce4 settings manager.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sauerland
    Posts
    7,466

    Default AW: Panel has two bluetooth applets neither shows in >panel >prefs >items??

    Please open an bugreport, Leap 15.5 is alpha/beta?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Panel has two bluetooth applets neither shows in >panel >prefs >items??

    Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    Hi

    Please don't mix up your post.
    Regarding your post#1, The full featured applet is "blueman" I am not sure about the second applet
    i
    t might be gnome bluetooth.
    Have a look in the session and startup in xfce4 settings manager.
    @conram:

    OK, thanks for the post . . . in xfce4 settings manager there are three "blue" items ticked on . . . "Blueberry" "Blueman Applet" and "Bluetooth OBE" . . . . The last two might be what is showing in the panel . . . and perhaps do different things . . . . I guess I could always untick them in settings and just use the menu to start them up if needed . . . .

    Not a show-stopper, but the "double applet" thing has been around for a long time . . . .

  6. #6

    Default Re: AW: Panel has two bluetooth applets neither shows in >panel >prefs >items??

    Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    Please open an bugreport, Leap 15.5 is alpha/beta?
    @Sauerland

    I believe it is still alpha, is what it was showing in the grub menu . . . . But, what am I going to file the bug report on?? GUI freezing while running a modest amount of package upgrades??

    Happy to do that . . . but I'll just have to compare it to another SUSE upgrade in the same machine and see if it's exclusive to Leap, or also in my rolling editions of SUSE, of which I have a few--or whether it's a cpu getting tired kind of problem???

    Or, I have another Leap 15.5 install in an older MacBookPro . . . in which, as of late, "nothing to do" is what shows up in the zypper dup -l . . . .

  7. #7

    Default Re: Panel has two bluetooth applets neither shows in >panel >prefs >items??

    Quote Originally Posted by non_space View Post
    @conram:

    OK, thanks for the post . . . in xfce4 settings manager there are three "blue" items ticked on . . . "Blueberry" "Blueman Applet" and "Bluetooth OBE" . . . . The last two might be what is showing in the panel . . . and perhaps do different things . . . . I guess I could always untick them in settings and just use the menu to start them up if needed . . . .

    Not a show-stopper, but the "double applet" thing has been around for a long time . . . .
    Go to settings manager in Session and Startup-Application Autostart and untick it.
    I prefer to retain the blueman because it has more features, that's what I am using.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

  8. #8

    Default Re: Panel has two bluetooth applets neither shows in >panel >prefs >items??

    This is my xfce4-panel in tumbleweed with just the blueman.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

  9. #9

    Default Re: Panel has two bluetooth applets neither shows in >panel >prefs >items??

    Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    Go to settings manager in Session and Startup-Application Autostart and untick it.
    I prefer to retain the blueman because it has more features, that's what I am using.
    @conram:

    Cool. I'm away from that machine now, but I mess with it when I get back to it.

    Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    This is my xfce4-panel in tumbleweed with just the blueman.
    OK . . . I'm not sure which is the blueman applet . . . in my Leap 15.5 XFCE edition the two applets look like the universal "bluetooth" icon looking symbol . . . ???

  10. #10

    Default Re: Panel has two bluetooth applets neither shows in >panel >prefs >items??

    Quote Originally Posted by non_space View Post
    Further issues with Leap 15.5 this morning . . . running 184 packages via console app . . . GUI "froze" so that I couldn't use the browser while the upgrades were running, and that process was also very slow. Mouse was operational. I was about to cancel out of the upgrade, when the last 10 or 15 packages went through. Followed by another long episode with "grub2" before the cursor returned. But, I couldn't get the Terminal app to "come up" to run further commands, so I logged into TTY1 . . . .

    In the TTY I ran "sudo update-bootloader" . . . also very slow and then shutdown. On cold boot Leap is first up in grub and several minutes went by with the black "Leap" screen and the spiral "activity" wheel . . . did not get to log in screen. I shut it down again. Second cold boot everything went quickly and now back in Leap GUI to type this out . . . .

    Not sure if this is the "aging cpu" that is intermittently causing a slow down . . . or something in the Leap upgrade that was messing around with the GUI. There was a new kernel listed in the packages . . . .

    @sauerland

    Bug report filed . . . . https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1205452

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •