Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Recommended course if package is not available either in Packman or official repositories

  1. #1

    Default Recommended course if package is not available either in Packman or official repositories

    What would be the most practical advise for someone who has not found a desired package available for openSUSE, but wishes that having it available may be possible in the foreseeable future?

    Does the community operate any kind of system for submitting requests that might be later reviewed by potential package maintainers?

    As an aside, is my understanding correct that there is currently no tool available through the openSUSE community that provides functionality similar to the build scripts offered in AUR for Arch Linux?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    East of Podunk
    Posts
    33,681
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Recommended course if package is not available either in Packman or official repositories

    Quote Originally Posted by brainchild View Post
    What would be the most practical advise for someone who has not found a desired package available for openSUSE, but wishes that having it available may be possible in the foreseeable future?

    Does the community operate any kind of system for submitting requests that might be later reviewed by potential package maintainers?

    As an aside, is my understanding correct that there is currently no tool available through the openSUSE community that provides functionality similar to the build scripts offered in AUR for Arch Linux?
    Hi
    We use the openSUSE Build Service: openSUSE Build Service

    What is the package?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    4,280
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Recommended course if package is not available either in Packman or official repositories

    It other searches turn up nothing, but you know the right spelling and are sure it must be out there somewhere, try:
    Code:
    sudo opi <packagename>
    OPI's UI may be less than you like, but it's pretty good at finding, and installing.
    Reg. Linux User 211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.4, TW, 15.1 & 13.1 on Haswell @earthlink.net
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.4 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: Debian, Fedora, Mageia, more on Rocket Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia....

  4. #4

    Default Re: Recommended course if package is not available either in Packman or official repositories

    Apart from the OBS, you may consider building the package from source yourself. Sometimes it may complicated, but more often than not it is straightforward, given that you have the dependencies.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Recommended course if package is not available either in Packman or official repositories

    Thank you for the replies.

    I have understood that three main layers of package distribution are available for SUSE-family operating systems, those being the official repository of some release, the Packman repository for the release, and the openSUSE Build Service.

    The package that prompted the question was flactag, but likely the need will arise shortly for other packages that I suspect are similarly unavailable through any of these distribution schemes. I have searched OBS, with no results, and similarly, a query through Repology, which hopefully would include any items in OBS, shows no results for a SUSE package.

    The purpose of my original question was largely to inquire about any channels provided by the community for requesting a package that has not yet been distributed through available methods.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    East of Podunk
    Posts
    33,681
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Recommended course if package is not available either in Packman or official repositories

    Quote Originally Posted by brainchild View Post
    Thank you for the replies.

    I have understood that three main layers of package distribution are available for SUSE-family operating systems, those being the official repository of some release, the Packman repository for the release, and the openSUSE Build Service.

    The package that prompted the question was flactag, but likely the need will arise shortly for other packages that I suspect are similarly unavailable through any of these distribution schemes. I have searched OBS, with no results, and similarly, a query through Repology, which hopefully would include any items in OBS, shows no results for a SUSE package.

    The purpose of my original question was largely to inquire about any channels provided by the community for requesting a package that has not yet been distributed through available methods.
    Hi
    There is no requesting mechanism as such, build (or locate someone ), agree to maintain, submit to a development project, then can submit to factory for inclusion, once in Factory it can be submitted to the next release aside from appearing in Tumbleweed.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    31,716

    Default Re: Recommended course if package is not available either in Packman or official repositories

    And for this specific one (flactag), I see they provide it for several distributions. This asking them to add openSUSE to their list might be a good idea.
    Henk van Velden

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    East of Podunk
    Posts
    33,681
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Recommended course if package is not available either in Packman or official repositories

    Quote Originally Posted by brainchild View Post
    Thank you for the replies.

    I have understood that three main layers of package distribution are available for SUSE-family operating systems, those being the official repository of some release, the Packman repository for the release, and the openSUSE Build Service.

    The package that prompted the question was flactag, but likely the need will arise shortly for other packages that I suspect are similarly unavailable through any of these distribution schemes. I have searched OBS, with no results, and similarly, a query through Repology, which hopefully would include any items in OBS, shows no results for a SUSE package.

    The purpose of my original question was largely to inquire about any channels provided by the community for requesting a package that has not yet been distributed through available methods.
    Hi
    Here you go, a test package, as of yet neither flactag or unac have published, you need to wait until you see the truck icon appear and manually download/install flactag and libunac1

    https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...s:TESTING/unac
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...ESTING/flactag

    https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...G/15.4/x86_64/
    Last edited by malcolmlewis; 10-Nov-2022 at 13:21. Reason: Add repo url
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Recommended course if package is not available either in Packman or official repositories

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Here you go, a test package, as of yet neither flactag or unac have published, you need to wait until you see the truck icon appear and manually download/install flactag and libunac1

    https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...s:TESTING/unac
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...ESTING/flactag

    https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...G/15.4/x86_64/
    So you have uploaded the source repository, and written and submitted a build script, and then the service infrastructure has generated a package that may be downloaded through the web browser for local installation?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Recommended course if package is not available either in Packman or official repositories

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    And for this specific one (flactag), I see they provide it for several distributions. This asking them to add openSUSE to their list might be a good idea.
    The linked page was just a query in Repology, which scans the repositories for all the distributions and reports the packaging state for a project. Repology itself does not create any packages, so none can be requested from it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •