Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended course if package is not available either in Packman or official repositories

Default Recommended course if package is not available either in Packman or official repositories

What would be the most practical advise for someone who has not found a desired package available for openSUSE, but wishes that having it available may be possible in the foreseeable future?

Does the community operate any kind of system for submitting requests that might be later reviewed by potential package maintainers?

As an aside, is my understanding correct that there is currently no tool available through the openSUSE community that provides functionality similar to the build scripts offered in AUR for Arch Linux?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Recommended course if package is not available either in Packman or official repositories

Quote Originally Posted by brainchild View Post
    What would be the most practical advise for someone who has not found a desired package available for openSUSE, but wishes that having it available may be possible in the foreseeable future?

Does the community operate any kind of system for submitting requests that might be later reviewed by potential package maintainers?

As an aside, is my understanding correct that there is currently no tool available through the openSUSE community that provides functionality similar to the build scripts offered in AUR for Arch Linux?
    Hi
    We use the openSUSE Build Service: openSUSE Build Service

What is the package?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Recommended course if package is not available either in Packman or official repositories

It other searches turn up nothing, but you know the right spelling and are sure it must be out there somewhere, try:
    Code:
    sudo opi <packagename>
    OPI's UI may be less than you like, but it's pretty good at finding, and installing.
    Reg. Linux User 211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.4, TW, 15.1 & 13.1 on Haswell @earthlink.net
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.4 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: Debian, Fedora, Mageia, more on Rocket Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia....

Apart from the OBS, you may consider building the package from source yourself. Sometimes it may complicated, but more often than not it is straightforward, given that you have the dependencies.

Thank you for the replies.

I have understood that three main layers of package distribution are available for SUSE-family operating systems, those being the official repository of some release, the Packman repository for the release, and the openSUSE Build Service.

The package that prompted the question was flactag, but likely the need will arise shortly for other packages that I suspect are similarly unavailable through any of these distribution schemes. I have searched OBS, with no results, and similarly, a query through Repology, which hopefully would include any items in OBS, shows no results for a SUSE package.

The purpose of my original question was largely to inquire about any channels provided by the community for requesting a package that has not yet been distributed through available methods.

Blog Entries

I have understood that three main layers of package distribution are available for SUSE-family operating systems, those being the official repository of some release, the Packman repository for the release, and the openSUSE Build Service.

The package that prompted the question was flactag, but likely the need will arise shortly for other packages that I suspect are similarly unavailable through any of these distribution schemes. I have searched OBS, with no results, and similarly, a query through Repology, which hopefully would include any items in OBS, shows no results for a SUSE package.

The purpose of my original question was largely to inquire about any channels provided by the community for requesting a package that has not yet been distributed through available methods.
    Hi
    There is no requesting mechanism as such, build (or locate someone ), agree to maintain, submit to a development project, then can submit to factory for inclusion, once in Factory it can be submitted to the next release aside from appearing in Tumbleweed.

And for this specific one (flactag), I see they provide it for several distributions. This asking them to add openSUSE to their list might be a good idea.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Hi
    Here you go, a test package, as of yet neither flactag or unac have published, you need to wait until you see the truck icon appear and manually download/install flactag and libunac1

https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...s:TESTING/unac
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...ESTING/flactag

https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...G/15.4/x86_64/
    Last edited by malcolmlewis; 10-Nov-2022 at 13:21. Reason: Add repo url

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Here you go, a test package, as of yet neither flactag or unac have published, you need to wait until you see the truck icon appear and manually download/install flactag and libunac1

https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...s:TESTING/unac
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...ESTING/flactag

https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...G/15.4/x86_64/
    So you have uploaded the source repository, and written and submitted a build script, and then the service infrastructure has generated a package that may be downloaded through the web browser for local installation?

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    And for this specific one (flactag), I see they provide it for several distributions. This asking them to add openSUSE to their list might be a good idea.
    The linked page was just a query in Repology, which scans the repositories for all the distributions and reports the packaging state for a project. Repology itself does not create any packages, so none can be requested from it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast