Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Should openSUSE have better defaults?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Should openSUSE have better defaults?

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Some time ago, I think it may have been with openSUSE 11.4, I installed the MS fonts. Yes, that changed the appearance of many websites. But, after a while, I came to regret that. Some website may have looked better, but many changed for the worse. I have never made that mistake again.
    I installed from https://software.opensuse.org/package/webcore-fonts
    Code:
    erlangen:~ # zypper if webcore-fonts 
    Loading repository data... 
    Reading installed packages... 

Information for package webcore-fonts: 
    -------------------------------------- 
    Repository     : @System 
    Name           : webcore-fonts 
    Version        : 3.0-2.17 
    Arch           : noarch 
    Vendor         : obs://build.opensuse.org/home:Dead_Mozay 
    Installed Size : 7.7 MiB 
    Installed      : Yes 
    Status         : up-to-date 
    Source package : webcore-fonts-3.0-2.17.src 
    Upstream URL   : http://avi.alkalay.net/linux/docs/font-howto/Font.html#msfonts 
    Summary        : Collection of minimum popular high quality TrueType fonts 
    Description    :  
        Collection of high quality TrueType fonts, default in any MS Windows installation. These are also the main webfonts as specified in microsoft.com/typography 
        The fonts: 
        Andale Mono, Arial, Arial Black, Comic, Courier New, Georgia, Impact, Lucida Sans, Lucida Console, Microsoft Sans Serif, Symbol, Tahoma, Times New Roman, Trebuchet, Verdana, Webdings, Wingdings, Wingding 2, Wingding 3. 

erlangen:~ #
    openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma, Blogs/KeepItSimple, i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), 5600X, 5700U (2022)

Default Re: AW: Should openSUSE have better defaults?

Quote Originally Posted by migdalia View Post
    The kde games though are utter useless waste of disk space.
    I couldn't disagree more. Even with a fairly large steam library, I do frequently play kde games like kpat, kmahjongg and ksudoku, to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    And, which alternative do you recommend?
    • Microsoft Outlook running stand-alone?
    • Evolution (also running stand-alone)?
    • Google Calendar?
    • Mozilla Thunderbird with plug-ins?

Please note that, the Redmond thing and, Evolution both perform better with a server running in the background –
    • for Outlook, the Microsoft Exchange Server.
    • For Evolution, either an Exchange Server or, Outlook Web Access or, Google GMail.

I was going to mention that, the KDE Plasma PIM suite (Kontact) can perform better from a Collaborative Software (Groupware) perspective when a Kolab server is available but, it seems that, the support for the Kolab packages with respect to SUSE and openSUSE is diminishing …
    **** I feel some hostility coming on. Sorry if you're a dev mate. For what it's worth I don't use the PIM suit too much. My issues come down to Kmail. It just doesn't stay up to date. This year I bought a new laptop. I did a fresh install and because I use KDE and love many KDE apps I thought I'd check out Kmail again to see if it's gotten better. It hasn't.
    If Kmail is trash, I wouldn't bother with the rest.

I use Thunderbird. Looks kind of ****, but it never fails.

Quote Originally Posted by migdalia View Post
    The majority just sees KDE games as disk space waste. I'm not talking about the minority who plays them.

Most web sites expect Windows machines browsing them. Some website don't display correctly because of missing MS fonts in the user's machine. Also office documents are dominated by MS office. Libreoffice is installed by default but most of the time .doc pptx etc. documents are not displayed correctly because of missing MS fonts.
    I have been using GNU/Linux for over ten years and never had issues with fonts with lack of MS fonts as far as I know. As far as I remember I can honestly say that i don't recollect any font issues in my browser that weren't caused by by my own extensions.

As for Office documents, I have few problems but I can understand where you may be coming from if Microsoft Office is heavily incorporated in your workplace.
    If that is your situation then I'd think you'd be used of installing them fonts manually. Not everyone is in your situation and I still don't think they should be included by default.

Cool Re: Should openSUSE have better defaults?

Quote Originally Posted by Knightron_2 View Post
    My issues come down to Kmail.
    OK, so you have some issues with KMail – for whatever reasons.
    • Currently, my local KMail folder tree is storing seven thousand, nine hundred and, ninety two e-Mails.
    • Plus, KMail is handling seven concurrent IMAP accounts.
    • That's not the total number of e-Mail I have – there are also archived folders with old e-Mails – dating back to the nineteen ninety's …

And, the rest of the PIM Suite has been handling appointments and tasks since 2012, plus News …

I'm happy – you're not.
    • And?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Knightron_2 View Post
    For what it's worth I don't use the PIM suit too much. My issues come down to Kmail. It just doesn't stay up to date. This year I bought a new laptop. I did a fresh install and because I use KDE and love many KDE apps I thought I'd check out Kmail again to see if it's gotten better. It hasn't.
    I use Kmail since 2000. Issues were annoying and I considered switching. However the current version works fine even with local folders containing some 80k files:
    Code:
    karl@erlangen:~> find .local/share/local-mail/ -type f | wc
      79653   79653 6912798
    karl@erlangen:~> du -hd0 .local/share/local-mail/
    7,2G    .local/share/local-mail/
    karl@erlangen:~>
    Issues still occur on rare occasions. They are fixed straight forward as documentation has improved.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma, Blogs/KeepItSimple, i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), 5600X, 5700U (2022)

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post

I'm happy – you're not.
    • And?
    You asked me what I recommend. I told you what I use, and why. There is no "And?"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234