Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Install on USB-stick used in different hardware - no access to Bootloader in YaST

Default Install on USB-stick used in different hardware - no access to Bootloader in YaST

Hi!

Installed TW to a USB-stick some years ago and boot/update on different notebooks over the years. Today I wanted to enter Bootlader in YaST, but I get

"Could not connect to root file system"

while the system works otherwise fine.

Any idea what the YaSt Bootloader might get wrong here? Short how-to for how to edit the bootloader options via console?

Many thanks in advance!
    Kind regards

raspu

Blog Entries

Default Re: Install on USB-stick used in different hardware - no access to Bootloader in YaST

Too little information.

It is not at all clear what you did.
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5.24.4;
    testing Tumbleweed.

Default Re: Install on USB-stick used in different hardware - no access to Bootloader in YaST

Open Yast -> Bootloader and get

"Error Yast cannot configure the bootloader because it failed to find the root file system"

The TW has been booted/updated on different hardware in the past.

What else needed?
    Kind regards

raspu

Blog Entries

Did you boot that particular USB?

When booted to that USB, what is the output from
    Code:
    df /
    If this is a standard live USB that uses "squashfs", then I would not be surprised at that output message. If the system was directly installed on the USB and "/" is a partition on the USB, then I'm surprised and wondering if the file system is corrupt.
    testing Tumbleweed.

Thanks for helping out, I have here

Code:
    df /
    Filesystem     1K-blocks     Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1       20465616 15217148   4183512  79% /

----------

sudo blkid
    [sudo] password for root: 
    /dev/sda2: UUID="c1e8f7c4-ca48-437d-82c9-e167c790df30" BLOCK_SIZE="4096" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sda3: UUID="e91bb70b-bceb-40da-8f1c-f28815bcb270" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="2ab74234-03"
    /dev/sda1: UUID="1c45fbf6-2bf2-40aa-a3f2-4e4f1f8ea0f3" BLOCK_SIZE="4096" TYPE="ext4" PTTYPE="dos" PARTUUID="2ab74234-01"

----------

cat /etc/fstab
    UUID=1c45fbf6-2bf2-40aa-a3f2-4e4f1f8ea0f3  /      ext4  acl,user_xattr  1  1
    UUID=c1e8f7c4-ca48-437d-82c9-e167c790df30  /home  ext4  acl,user_xattr  1  2
    #UUID=f9c8abd7-a327-4420-899e-f9a7b100ddb1  swap   swap  defaults        0  0

The TW was installed to the USB-stick as if it was a SSD/HDD. I dd'ed the USB-stick to a fresh one today, but the problem persisted... Otherwise I see no problems so far thig might be related to a failing file system.
    Kind regards

raspu

Blog Entries

It could also be a YAST bug. I have never run into that error message.
    testing Tumbleweed.

Quote Originally Posted by suse_rasputin View Post
    Short how-to for how to edit the bootloader options via console?
    What exactly do you want to change?

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    What exactly do you want to change?
    I wanted to add ipv6.disable=1 and maybe som other fine-tuning (like with that resume=) so basically the kernel boot parameters...
    Kind regards

raspu

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suse_rasputin View Post
    I wanted to add ipv6.disable=1 and maybe som other fine-tuning (like with that resume=) so basically the kernel boot parameters...
    You can change those in "/etc/default/grub" and then run "update-bootloader".
    testing Tumbleweed.

Ok, work-arround is the better solution ;-)
    Kind regards

raspu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast