Are there any music players that support system directories and folders, and multiple playlists?

One absolutely major beef I have with 15.4 is that there are almost no music players that have official packages for it.

Up until this last week, I was using kplayer. I simply added my main music folder to the library, then added a few separate folders from that folder to the library. No problem.

I could create multiple playlists, add files to them, and shift the position of files within the playlists. I could shuffle, and loop the playlists.

Well, kplayer doesn’t exist on 15.4. Not only that, other than on the KDE Web site it seems to have completely vanished from the Web. There is no package for 15.4 or anywhere that I can tell.

So I’ve tried a dozen other so-called music players that are massively more complicated than kplayer, but all of them either force me into a view mode I don’t like, don’t support folders in the library, or simply crash.

I thought I had found one that would work - quayadeque - but it crashed about three times in playing the first two songs. Not to mention that trying to reorder items in a playlist also crashes the program. It’s completely useless.

Is there any music player that I can add existing files and folders to the library in the same manner as kplayer or view system folders and files directly in liu of a library, supports multiple playlists and reordering of items in playlists? Or am I going to have to resort to playing files directly from the system folders and writing playlists in bash? This is pathetic.

One absolutely major beef I have with 15.4 is that there are almost no music players that have official packages for it.

There are many music players available from the standard repos to choose from.

Elisa might be a similar replacement for kplayer perhaps

https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/elisa/elisa/index.html

Install with

sudo zypper in elisa

Strawberry Music Player is another that is worth looking at

Install with

sudo zypper in strawberry

Tried both of those referenced above.

I then remembered Kaffeine. Kaffeine does exactly what I want, except that it doesn’t seem to directly play playlist shown in the playlists list - which is weird. But I can access the playlist in the music folder and open with Kaffeine which then plays it.

I wasn’t aware that it uses the VLC player to play files, and that I had to use pulseaudio to increase the sound level in order to hear at the correct volume.

Anyway, this seems like it will work for now.

JuK…

https://juk.kde.org/

Ok, glad to read that this works for you. :slight_smile:

Audacious maybe. Have you already tried it?

Have you tried Clementine yet? It definitely does what you ask for.

There are many options in the multimedia/apps repository, if you haven’t already looked there.

Also, I find kplayer in a KDE3 repo for 15.4. Installing it may install a bunch of KDE3 stuff, however.

There are multiple players but few of them i consider are
1- Kplayer
2- Strawberry Music Player