Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40

Thread: cannot start blender 3.3 Linux

  1. #21

    Default Re: cannot start blender 3.3 Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan_R View Post
    So what would happen if you delete your blender config, or at least make a backup of it?
    It creates a new blender config on the user .config
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,843
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: cannot start blender 3.3 Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    It creates a new blender config on the user .config
    I figured it would do that, but I was curious if you would need to use sudo or su, or something since the blender site does say it can be installed in the /usr directory.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

  3. #23

    Default Re: cannot start blender 3.3 Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan_R View Post
    I figured it would do that, but I was curious if you would need to use sudo or su, or something since the blender site does say it can be installed in the /usr directory.
    Untar it using su or sudo of course. The blender executable can be run by the user without using sudo or su.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    31,742

    Default Re: cannot start blender 3.3 Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    Untar it using su or sudo of course.
    I do not think that is correct (I may be wrong, but advises using root for something must be 1000% save I think).

    I browsed through the thread and got the idea that it can be installed on the system (so every user can use it, rather normal for any application on the system). In which case the installation should be done "as root". Something that YaST does of course and that the system manager does when using zypper. All "non-standard" installations to the system must be inspected carefully about what they are going to place where and what they are going o do further. When the "non-standard" is an RPM, it probably will be OK. When it is a tarball with a rather standard build recipe, only the install phase should be done "as root", but the untar and all build steps should be done by a "normal" user.

    Now a "normal" user can of course "install" a program somewhere in his own disk area (usual inside /home/<username>/). This is a bit like writing a program and/or script yourself. And the user can then execute it (but not other users can without further actions). And yes, such an installation might be done by untarring a tar-file downloaded from a web-site. But that then is to be done by the user in a place he determined himself. No "root" involved at all.

    So please be careful and be very sure when you put files (by untar or otherwise) on the wild inside system directories.
    Henk van Velden

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,843
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: cannot start blender 3.3 Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I do not think that is correct (I may be wrong, but advises using root for something must be 1000% save I think).

    I browsed through the thread and got the idea that it can be installed on the system (so every user can use it, rather normal for any application on the system). In which case the installation should be done "as root". Something that YaST does of course and that the system manager does when using zypper. All "non-standard" installations to the system must be inspected carefully about what they are going to place where and what they are going o do further. When the "non-standard" is an RPM, it probably will be OK. When it is a tarball with a rather standard build recipe, only the install phase should be done "as root", but the untar and all build steps should be done by a "normal" user.

    Now a "normal" user can of course "install" a program somewhere in his own disk area (usual inside /home/<username>/). This is a bit like writing a program and/or script yourself. And the user can then execute it (but not other users can without further actions). And yes, such an installation might be done by untarring a tar-file downloaded from a web-site. But that then is to be done by the user in a place he determined himself. No "root" involved at all.

    So please be careful and be very sure when you put files (by untar or otherwise) on the wild inside system directories.

    Thank you. You articulated it better than I did.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

  6. #26

    Default Re: cannot start blender 3.3 Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I do not think that is correct (I may be wrong, but advises using root for something must be 1000% save I think).

    I browsed through the thread and got the idea that it can be installed on the system (so every user can use it, rather normal for any application on the system). In which case the installation should be done "as root". Something that YaST does of course and that the system manager does when using zypper. All "non-standard" installations to the system must be inspected carefully about what they are going to place where and what they are going o do further. When the "non-standard" is an RPM, it probably will be OK. When it is a tarball with a rather standard build recipe, only the install phase should be done "as root", but the untar and all build steps should be done by a "normal" user.

    Now a "normal" user can of course "install" a program somewhere in his own disk area (usual inside /home/<username>/). This is a bit like writing a program and/or script yourself. And the user can then execute it (but not other users can without further actions). And yes, such an installation might be done by untarring a tar-file downloaded from a web-site. But that then is to be done by the user in a place he determined himself. No "root" involved at all.

    So please be careful and be very sure when you put files (by untar or otherwise) on the wild inside system directories.
    Hi,
    Agree with what you said all the way and thanks again for the pointers.
    I am just talking about the blender application extractible tar.xz file here.
    We will not be able to extract it in the /usr/local without root permission.
    I am just doing it to be sure extracting it in the /usr/local, the user will be able to run it without root permission.

    Like what happened in the opening post from the op.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    31,742

    Default Re: cannot start blender 3.3 Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    Hi,
    Agree with what you said all the way and thanks again for the pointers.
    I am just talking about the blender application extractible tar.xz file here.
    We will not be able to extract it in the /usr/local without root permission.
    I am just doing it to be sure extracting it in the /usr/local, the user will be able to run it without root permission.

    Like what happened in the opening post from the op.
    When this application is offered in this way (a tar file that should be extracted in /user/local), then of course the untar must be done "by root".

    The permissions then should of course be set in a way that users can execute the (one or more) programs from the product, but that should already be the case, permissions, etc. are saved within the tar file. Only think that maybe should be done is adding the path to the directory where those executable programs are, to the PATH variable. Normally /usr/local/bin is already in PATH.
    Henk van Velden

  8. #28

    Default Re: cannot start blender 3.3 Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    When this application is offered in this way (a tar file that should be extracted in /user/local), then of course the untar must be done "by root".

    The permissions then should of course be set in a way that users can execute the (one or more) programs from the product, but that should already be the case, permissions, etc. are saved within the tar file. Only think that maybe should be done is adding the path to the directory where those executable programs are, to the PATH variable. Normally /usr/local/bin is already in PATH.
    That's right. When extracting the blender tar.xz file by root in /usr/local it goes in bin folder and inside it, is the blender executable and all the blender stuffs. It looks like this /usr/local/bin/blender.
    With this I assume it is already in the PATH. Pardon my english I am really still struggling with it.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    31,742

    Default Re: cannot start blender 3.3 Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    That's right. When extracting the blender tar.xz file by root in /usr/local it goes in bin folder and inside it, is the blender executable and all the blender stuffs. It looks like this /usr/local/bin/blender.
    With this I assume it is already in the PATH. Pardon my english I am really still struggling with it.
    Ehat you tell about the extracting looks good.

    You could do
    Code:
    ls -l /usr/local/bin/blender
    to show the owners and permissions.

    You could do
    Code:
    echo $PATH
    to see if /usr/local/bin is in there (no assuming needed, check the facts).

    You can do
    Code:
    which blender
    to see if the PATH lets the shell land at the correct file.
    Henk van Velden

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    710

    Default Re: cannot start blender 3.3 Linux

    I have installed open suse Leap 15.4 and almost nothing is possible I cannot open the trash cannot open a program like blender 3.3 dowloaded.
    All about security rights I have added the group root to myself but I sill cannot do anything.
    I hate all this overdone security. I am willing to get back to version 15.3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •