Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: cannot start blender 3.3 Linux

Default Re: cannot start blender 3.3 Linux

There is not even the need to compile it from source as blender provides a downloadable archive (prominently on the download page) which you only have to unpack and run. And no, you didn't provide the link to source code. The source code is on git as described in your last link. You pointed to the archive that you only have to unpack and run (unfortunately you pointed to a unknown mirror without checksums as they are provided at the real blender site).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hui View Post
    There is not even the need to compile it from source as blender provides a downloadable archive (prominently on the download page) which you only have to unpack and run.
    That is true, but not everyone does that or follows directions.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

Thanks su works for me

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anton View Post
    Thanks su works for me
    Glad to hear it
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

Just wondering why sudo or su is needed really.
    I am using the tar.xz file from blender site and just untar it in one of my drive accessible to the user with no problem for a long time.
    If want to be run directly, be sure it is in the path.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    Just wondering why sudo or su is needed really.
    I am using the tar.xz file from blender site and just untar it in one of my drive accessible to the user with no problem for a long time.
    If want to be run directly, be sure it is in the path.
    It seems to do with the directories in which it's installed. On one hand you can install it to the home directory or to the /usr directory. It's when it's installed to the /usr directory that you would need sudo or su.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan_R View Post
    It seems to do with the directories in which it's installed. On one hand you can install it to the home directory or to the /usr directory. It's when it's installed to the /usr directory that you would need sudo or su.
    I could be wrong but depends on where in usr you install it then you don't need the root permission to run it just like any other application we install using zypper or yast.
    Nice to see you around, been a while I haven't seen that gentoo avatar.

Blog Entries

I could be wrong but depends on where in usr you install it then you don't need the root permission to run it just like any other application we install using zypper or yast.
    Nice to see you around, been a while I haven't seen that gentoo avatar.

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/l...ing/linux.html
    "Installing on Linux
    Check the Downloading Blender page to find the minimum requirements and where to get Blender (if you have not done so yet).
    Install from blender.org

Download the Linux version for your architecture and uncompress the file to the desired location (e.g. ~/software or /usr/local)."

Thank you. It has been a while. I've been thinking that a security overview should be updated. Especially with the coming of Web 3.0, where Web 3.0 is the newest version and based on blockchain and a decentralized web. But that's another subject. It's good to see my old friends again. I do think the best way to install blender is via Steam or Zypper and YaST.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan_R View Post
    https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/l...ing/linux.html
    "Installing on Linux
    Check the Downloading Blender page to find the minimum requirements and where to get Blender (if you have not done so yet).
    Install from blender.org

Download the Linux version for your architecture and uncompress the file to the desired location (e.g. ~/software or /usr/local)."

Thank you. It has been a while. I've been thinking that a security overview should be updated. Especially with the coming of Web 3.0, where Web 3.0 is the newest version and based on blockchain and a decentralized web. But that's another subject. It's good to see my old friends again. I do think the best way to install blender is via Steam or Zypper and YaST.
    I hope you stay around

Back to the subject, I extracted the tar.xz blender 3.3 file in /usr/local and I can run it by my user without needing the root permission.
    Edit:
    And it found & uses my blender config in /home/conram/.config/blender

Blog Entries

I hope you stay around

Back to the subject, I extracted the tar.xz blender 3.3 file in /usr/local and I can run it by my user without needing the root permission.
    Edit:
    And it found & uses my blender config in /home/conram/.config/blender
    So what would happen if you delete your blender config, or at least make a backup of it?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast