Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspending laptop freezes the entire system

Default Suspending laptop freezes the entire system

Hello. I really hope this is the correct sub-forum for this problem.

So I have an Acer laptop model A315 from this year, using XFCE desktop. This is a just clean Leap 15.4 installation, so by default closing the lid is configured to suspend, not hibernate.

I think I have a very bad problem with the suspension function: when I suspend --either with the suspend button (NOT hybrid suspend) or closing the lid-- and try to wake it up, system is frozen and completely unresponsive, and I have to force shutdown by holding the power button, which is *bad*.

A brief background just in case: before this, I once tried draining the battery to 4%, and instead of automatically hibernating, it popped a window asking for root permissions to run the hibernation. But I just hit cancel and plugged the laptop to AC.

Could someone help with this?
    Thanks very much.

Default Re: Suspending laptop freezes the entire system

I was scolded by a mod by PM regarding the threads I make a couple of days ago, and even when I put effort this time with this one, the result is the same: ignored. Great.

Well, nobody can press people to answer on threads when they do not want, or do want but have no time.

I have the impression that the majority of people do not use XFCE, so the pool of people that can help you maybe a bit smaller then usual.

Personally I can not help. I do not know much about hardware, nor about what could go wrong with suspend while using XFCE (as KDE user).

When this gives you comfort, I think the question as you have put it here is clear enough and provides at least enough information to start from. So it is definitely not your post as such that makes you feel you are ignored. I doubt very much you are ignored
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

I really can't help either.

I almost never suspend. And that's because I see the idea as an ugly hack. I'm actually not surprised that it doesn't work properly on some hardware.
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5.24.4;
    testing Tumbleweed.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I really can't help either.

I almost never suspend. And that's because I see the idea as an ugly hack. I'm actually not surprised that it doesn't work properly on some hardware.
    I am not a laptop user, but I do have one here (Leap 15.4 and using KDE). When I close the lid it "stops working" (I do not know what the correct technical word is: sleep, suspend, ....?). When I then open the lid and then press the power button, it starts "buzzing" and I have to enter the user password like when screen locking. The session comes back. That is all I can say about this.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by F_style View Post

So I have an Acer laptop model A315 from this year, using XFCE desktop. This is a just clean Leap 15.4 installation, so by default closing the lid is configured to suspend, not hibernate.

I think I have a very bad problem with the suspension function: when I suspend --either with the suspend button (NOT hybrid suspend) or closing the lid-- and try to wake it up, system is frozen and completely unresponsive, and I have to force shutdown by holding the power button, which is *bad*.

A brief background just in case: before this, I once tried draining the battery to 4%, and instead of automatically hibernating, it popped a window asking for root permissions to run the hibernation. But I just hit cancel and plugged the laptop to AC.

Thanks very much.
    Hi
    I use neither even on laptops.... I would suggest checking systemd options at /etc/systemd/logind.conf as it could be one of the lid options overriding your expectation on the xfce desktop. If possible remote in via ssh and tail the journal `journalctl -f` to see what is happening when you close the lid.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

I was scolded by a mod by PM regarding the threads I make a couple of days ago, and even when I put effort this time with this one, the result is the same: ignored. Great.
    People will answer when they feel that they can add some value.
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5

Thanks very much.
    Have you use it on other DE before? Like KDE or Gnome? Did it work before?
    Is "upower" is installed?
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Just tested with other DEs such as KDE and GNOME. Exact same results.
    Package upower is installed. FWIW, its GPU reads "Intel iRIS Xe" in the label.

Blog Entries

Just tested with other DEs such as KDE and GNOME. Exact same results.
    Package upower is installed. FWIW, its GPU reads "Intel iRIS Xe" in the label.
    More likely a BIOS issue, not an openSUSE issue as such.

Just two of many reports I turned up during a quick search...

https://community.acer.com/en/discus...inux-fedora-35

https://forum.endeavouros.com/t/susp...3-laptop/22972
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 30-Sep-2022 at 18:43.
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast