Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wifi connection problem after update

Default Re: Wifi connection problem after update

Quote Originally Posted by eionmac View Post
    Any suggestions from you folk?
    If she is using NetworkManager, I suggest trying wicked. You can switch in YaST > Network Settings. As mentioned above in this thread, since early September, a laptop similar to yours had trouble connecting with NetworkManager, but works fine with wicked. Also, no problem with Windows 10. Before trying wicked, once our laptop connected with NetworkManager it stayed on, unlike your disconnecting issue.
    Howard
    ThinkPads 310ED, 600E, T23, X41, X60, T61, X201, E550, X390

Quote Originally Posted by eionmac View Post
    Any suggestions from you folk? Could it be hardware problems?
    Another suggestion is take the laptop to a library or somewhere with public wifi and see how it behaves. If it works there, your router may be failing.
    Howard

Eionmac
    openSUSE LEAP 15.3 , Windows 10 & 11 ; standby Leap 15.4 on second USB external drive. Various old computers dual boot and Live Linux distros
    I see we have a similar history with SuSE. You joined the forum one month before I did. Quite a nice distribution, eh, what?
    Howard

I've got a different problem with my Intel card, which seems to be random and pretty hard to reproduce. wlan0 would just go down without apparent cause. Restarting NetworkManager and reloading iwlmvm kernel modules don't help. Neither does rebooting. wlan0 could only be ‘repaired’ by logging into a live system (15.4 Rescue), doing nothing, and rebooting again from hard disk. This strange problem first happened on 22 Sept, most recently two hours ago, and once again sometime in between.

I am trying downgrading
    Code:
    kernel-firmware-iwlwifi
    to
    Code:
    20220509-150400.4.5.1
    to see if it helps.

Please tell me if my description is unclear.

Your description is clear.

Let's us know if downgrading works and if that solves the problem.

Two questions:
    • Since when did the problem start? Never seen the problem before?
    • Does the journal show anything when the problem happens? Try "sudo hournalctl -b | grep wl" and consider pasting that output here Using Code Tags Around Your Paste

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crissium View Post
    I've got a different problem with my Intel card, which seems to be random and pretty hard to reproduce. wlan0 would just go down without apparent cause. Restarting NetworkManager and reloading iwlmvm kernel modules don't help. Neither does rebooting. wlan0 could only be ‘repaired’ by logging into a live system (15.4 Rescue), doing nothing, and rebooting again from hard disk.
    More wireless trouble https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...erface-dormant Problems are gone since using a static hostname in each installed system which is never changed through DHCP.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma, Blogs/KeepItSimple, i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), 5600X, 5700U (2022)

Quote Originally Posted by marel View Post
    Your description is clear.

Let's us know if downgrading works and if that solves the problem.

Two questions:
    • Since when did the problem start? Never seen the problem before?
    • Does the journal show anything when the problem happens? Try "sudo hournalctl -b | grep wl" and consider pasting that output here Using Code Tags Around Your Paste
    Thank you for your reply.

1. It happened on 22 Sept, 8 Oct, and sometime in between, only three times in total.
    No, never seen it.

2. When it first happened, I checked dmesg and something unusual did happen. But I had a deadline approaching and logged into a Live system to finish it, and when I booted up again it was 'magically' fixed. I will save the journal entries if the problem comes up again,

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    More wireless trouble https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...erface-dormant Problems are gone since using a static hostname in each installed system which is never changed through DHCP.
    Sorry, but I've only got openSUSE installed on my laptop. So maybe it's not a problem with DHCP? And wlan0 went down after I'd used it for some time. I've set the hostname explicitly to 'localhost' to see if it helps.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crissium View Post
    Sorry, but I've only got openSUSE installed on my laptop. So maybe it's not a problem with DHCP? And wlan0 went down after I'd used it for some time. I've set the hostname explicitly to 'localhost' to see if it helps.
    What I observed with my FRITZ!Box 7360 acting as a DHCP server:
    • any installer of any distribution would always connect to the DHCP server
    • any installed system would inevitably experience connection problems related to DHCP upon prolonged operation

I made sure:
    • every installed system had its own static hostname
    • the FRITZ!Box would never try to assign the same ipv4 address based on the MAC address of the link

I made these changes three years ago. DHCP works flawlessly since then.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma, Blogs/KeepItSimple, i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), 5600X, 5700U (2022)

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    What I observed with my FRITZ!Box 7360 acting as a DHCP server:
    • any installer of any distribution would always connect to the DHCP server
    • any installed system would inevitably experience connection problems related to DHCP upon prolonged operation

I made sure:
    • every installed system had its own static hostname
    • the FRITZ!Box would never try to assign the same ipv4 address based on the MAC address of the link

I made these changes three years ago. DHCP works flawlessly since then.
    Well, if it's really a problem with DHCP, then the only thing I can do is set my hostname—I'm on my school's WiFi.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast