Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: System boot screen question

Default System boot screen question

I have several computers here all running openSUSE Leap 15.4. When the system boots (after the initial bootloader menu), all of them except one shows a black screen with the "Leap" logo at the center bottom, and a spinning circle above it while the system comes up. Then the graphical login screen appears.

On the one odd system, instead of the black background, "Leap" logo and spinning circle, I get a grey background and three green dots instead. The system does come up to the graphical login screen, but what causes it to show the three green dots rather than the "Leap" screen?

Blog Entries

Default Re: System boot screen question

That's from the plymouth splash screen that is supposed to show during boot. The plymouth software is apparently having problems with your graphic display, so it is instead showing the plain text version of its splash screen.
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5.24.4;
    testing Tumbleweed.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    That's from the plymouth splash screen that is supposed to show during boot. The plymouth software is apparently having problems with your graphic display, so it is instead showing the plain text version of its splash screen.
    I think you misread (sorry). But he does not report text, he reports green dots (I assume the squares I have seen also earlier).

When they are the small green squares, I think I got them in earlier Leap versions. But as I have removed Plymouth already for some releases, I can not provide details.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    But he does not report text, he reports green dots (I assume the squares I have seen also earlier).
    Yes. But, as far as I know, that is all done with the display of ASCII (or extended ASCII) characters. So it is using text-mode rather than graphics mode.
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5.24.4;
    testing Tumbleweed.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Yes. But, as far as I know, that is all done with the display of ASCII (or extended ASCII) characters. So it is using text-mode rather than graphics mode.
    Oops, that is a new idea for me. Would never have thought about that possibility (that is, as we talk about the same phenomenon). In that case, you will be right.
    Henk van Velden

OK, here are the specifics about the machine in question. It has a Asrock 970M Pro3 motherboard with an AMD FX-6300 6-core CPU and 32GB of RAM. It has no onboard video, so a EVGA 02G-P3-1733-KR (with GeForce GT730) PCI-e video card is installed. The system is running the nvidiaG05 470.141.03 proprietary video driver. It works fine with the X11 graphical environment (KDE in 2560x1440 resolution).

Is there something in this setup that would prevent the plymouth graphical boot from working?

At the grub2 boot menu, where you choose your os.
    Type c and in grub type
    Code:
    videoinfo
    to see what video resolution is supported.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by amblabs View Post
    The system is running the nvidiaG05 470.141.03 proprietary video driver.
    Is there something in this setup that would prevent the plymouth graphical boot from working?
    Plymouth is historically troublesome with proprietary NVidia drivers employed. Was Plymouth removed from this system?
    Reg. Linux User 211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.4, TW, 15.1 & 13.1 on Haswell @earthlink.net
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.4 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: Debian, Fedora, Mageia, more on Rocket Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia....

Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    At the grub2 boot menu, where you choose your os.
    Type c and in grub type
    Code:
    videoinfo
    to see what video resolution is supported.
    OK, I'll do that on the next reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Plymouth is historically troublesome with proprietary NVidia drivers employed. Was Plymouth removed from this system?
    It was not removed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast